DS Routine for an absolute beginner ...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wjfitzgerald
Participant

DS Routine for an absolute beginner ...

Post by wjfitzgerald »

Hi,

I have spent the last couple of hours reading all the entries I can find on DS routines both on DSXchange and any other source I can find on the net.

All the answers I have come across are above my comprehension right now. (The joys of being a COBOL programmer in the 21st century!!)Hopefully someone would be good enough to answer the following questions in a programming101 manner!
In the transformer stage I can use a DS Routine. Can this be a DS BASIC routine?
Where can I find instructions on how to create such a routine so that it is available in the transformer stage?
I know this question is below the level of this forum but beginner info is hard to come across.

Thanks for the patience.
John Fitz
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The parallel transformer requires C/C++ routines, it's the BASIC Transformer (or Server jobs) that lets you use BASIC routines with all the caveats that brings to the parallel world. As to where what you need to do to create PX routines is documented, I don't know. There some information in the Developer's Guide but it's not really what you are looking for. Perhaps someone who knows will chime in.

Now, BASIC routines are what are still used for any Before/After subroutines - job or stage - even in a parallel job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
wjfitzgerald
Participant

Post by wjfitzgerald »

Craig,

thanks for the reply, i really appreciate all the help.

john fitz
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This might help as well as give you some idea of other keywords you can search for. For example, I used "entrypoint" to find this, remembering that it had come up in the discussion of this topic a number of times.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
wjfitzgerald
Participant

Post by wjfitzgerald »

Craig,

Again thanks a million for the reply.
Plenty to be getting stuck into there.

i will mark this as resolved for now, and spend a bit of time working through the ideas you have given me.

thanks again

john fitz