Sequencer job if it fails

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

monaz
Participant

Sequencer job if it fails

Post by monaz »

Hi All,

I have four jobs job1(server), job2(parallel), job3(parallel), job4(server).

I have sequencer job which is designed to run all the four jobs.
I have requirement if job4(laoding of data in table) fails then the sequencer should restart and run only job4.

Please guide me how to work on this, as i am new to datastage dont know how to proceed on this...

the sequencer job is desinged as below

jobactivity1----->jobactivity2-->jobactivity3--->jobactivity4--->Stop
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Our last webinar was on this very topic. Search the forum for checkpoints for many discussions on the topic. It is also detailed in the online help for Sequence (no 'r') jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
monaz
Participant

Post by monaz »

chulett wrote:Our last webinar was on this very topic. Search the forum for checkpoints for many discussions on the topic. It is also detailed in the online help for Sequence (no 'r') jobs. ...
Thanks,

Can you please guide with this in more detail...

I am not able to get required solutions...

It will be really grateful and thankfull.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Our last webinar was on this very topic. You can find this at http://www.dsxchange.net/webinar_training.html (or should be able to). If you can't find it. drop a note to editor@dsxchange.com or membershipdirectory@dsxchange.com who jointly look after these things.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pxraja
Participant

Post by pxraja »

Hi,
in administrator
enable "add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure" in Project Properties/sequence tab

and enable "Automatically handle activities that fail"

either of the things may help you to solve,

I used to compile the job which is aborted and i had run the sequence without compiling it, it has started from the job that has aborted.

If any solutions available better are most welcome.
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

pxraja wrote:Hi,
in administrator
enable "add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure" in Project Properties/sequence tab

and enable "Automatically handle activities that fail"

either of the things may help you to solve,
Its not either. First one is necessary unless you are not writing your own checkpointed job control.

Sequence is restratable only when it aborts. Hence either use "Automatically handle activities that fail" or add terminator to your serqunce to abort it in case of any failure inside the sequence.

One more thing is, this setting will be applicable only for new jobs, not for existing sequences. For them you have to change the job properties of every existing sequence to select this option.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

All of which, and more, is "out there" if one searches as suggested. Sure, you get 148 matches (today) to go through, but it's all out there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers