Can Data set be accessed from any external editor

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudeepmantri
Participant

Can Data set be accessed from any external editor

Post by sudeepmantri »

Hi

Have a requirement to access Data set from Java editor.

Could some one provide pointers on how this can be achived?

Regards,
Sudeep
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

what kind of access?

if access means reading date then yes only if your editor is smart enough to decode Datastage's internal format. And I don't know any such editor.

If you want to get statistics for datasets then you might be able to do that using datastage functions/executables. But I never used that.

Its documented and also I prefer to use filesets if the intermediate data is needed by any other external program.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
sudeepmantri
Participant

Post by sudeepmantri »

Basically there are orchadmin utilities by which I can read a dataset from command line or dump it into a file (may be a CSV or something).

I just wanted to know if there's any other option by virtue of which I dont need to dump data into another file and from the command prompt or STDOUT itself I can read the formatted data properly.

P.S. I also need first line column name which is a Property exhibited only by a Sequential file stage.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Maybe you can use orchadmin and pipe to stdout.
sudeepmantri
Participant

Post by sudeepmantri »

Exactly....But the problem is it wont preserve the formatting of the data and I also need the first line as column name (there are some other requirements too)...Seems these can only be achieved only when I write from dataset to a sequential file..Which basically I cant do at this stage of the game!! :D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A Data Set consists of multiple physical files. On that basis at the very least the answer is "no".

There are no columns, so there are no column headings. The storage schema is in the control file, not in the data files. Therefore the answer is still "no".

Data are in binary format. For example, an int32 occupies precisely four bytes. While some editors can "read" that, the question really is "can you?". Therefore I'm staying with the original "no" answer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sudeepmantri
Participant

Post by sudeepmantri »

Thanks Ray...Will look for some other optins then..As of now heart and mind both are going for XML files!! :)
datastage_learner
Participant

Post by datastage_learner »

create a job that reads datasets and gets you either seq. files or xml files as output and then thru. your java prog. u can read those... am I right? :wink:
Thanks,
DS_Learner
datastage_learner
Participant

Post by datastage_learner »

Moreover datasets are bound by the no. nodes you had used during partitioning or processing... there may be 4 or more such nodes that the dataset is distributed over... so how can you read such files?
Thanks,
DS_Learner
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

datastage_learner wrote:u can read those... am I right? :wink:
No.

Whatever Sudeep does will not enable U to read anything.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.