NLS Setting - Difference bewteen Server job and Parallel job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

NLS Setting - Difference bewteen Server job and Parallel job

Post by dsuser_cai »

Hi

Im in the process of converting server jobs to parallel job. In server job we have simple job (ODBC source ---> Transformer ---> Oracle target). no transformations in between, its just a direct pull. I have column in the source and in target (say COL1- varchar2(20)). When i checked in oracle for the NLS setting the source has US7ASCII and the target has AL32UTF8, so what happens is when i runt he parallel job COL1 has some special characters which do not have proper characterset mapping or they occupy more bytes/space. And the job aborts with the following error message:

sqlcode is: -12899
esql complaint: ORA-12899: value too large for column "schema"."table_name"."COL1" (actual: 37, maximum: 20)

but when i run the server job it dosent aborts. Can anybody help me fix this.

NLS server job: NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII

NLS setting in paralle job: NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII
Thanks
Karthick
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

Hi

the issue is resolved now.

the source database has a NLS setting of US7ASCII and the target DB has UTF8, and the column width is only 3 in both DB's. So i was not able to insert the data, by using the following cinversion function this was fixed

select convert(Col1, 'US7ASCII', 'UTF8') FROM table_name
Thanks
Karthick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Note all that this CONVERT() function is SQL, not the DataStage function.

And, in passing, NLS uses a completely different mechanism in parallel jobs from that used in server jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.