Sequential File - Warning Message - Null

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequential File - Warning Message - Null

Post by dsuser_cai »

Hi

I had some problem while loading data into a sequential file, especially in the date fields. The DS Director log gave me lots of warning message and the job was aborting. But later i used the following environment variable and it worked, I was able to supress all the wasrning messages.

Warning message:

Sequential_File_1: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "DECEASED_NOTIFICATION_DATE": "null_field" length (0) must match field's fixed width (19)

Sequential_File_1: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "DECEASED_NOTIFICATION_DATE": Exporting a fixed length field with a "null_field" of length 0 will prohibit a re-import of this field

Fix:

use the following environment variable, (this one is not available in the DS env variable list so u need to define it in the DS admin --> user defined section and set it to true.

APT_IMPEXP_ALLOW_ZERO_LENGTH_FIXED_NULL.

Thanks to Ray.
Thanks
Karthick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I prefer to use null field values that match the fixed field width.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

Ray,

Just to make sure I understood you or not.

you want me to use blank space for the null values?

for example if i have a column (creation_date) with date as data type. then in the columns tab of the sequential file stage click on the column number and go to the edit column meta data windo and in the Nullable properties specify the null field value as 19 spaces?

like Null Field value = ' '

Could you please tell, what im doing is right.
Thanks
Karthick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Wrap your expression in Code tags, otherwise multiple spaces get compressed by the software. Yes, I mean that you need 19 spaces if the Field Width is 19.

Code: Select all

NullFieldValue = "                   "
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

ray.wurlod wrote:Wrap your expression in Code tags, otherwise multiple spaces get compressed by the software. Yes, I mean that you need 19 spaces if the Field Width is 19.

Code: Select all

NullFieldValue = "                   "

That is really awsome. Thanks Ray.
Thanks
Karthick