InfoSphere Installation aborting installing db2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ultramundane
Participant

InfoSphere Installation aborting installing db2

Post by Ultramundane »

I downloaded the new version of 8.1.0.0 named 8.1.0.0 :) and now the InfoSphere Installation is aborting when trying to install db2 with this error message:

DB2 Setup log file started at: Tue Apr 14 20:23:46 2009 EDT
============================================================

Operating system information: AIX 5.3
ERROR: The FILE keyword value is not creatable or writable: "/dstage/IBM/db2/V9".

DB2 Setup log file finished at: Tue Apr 14 20:23:55 2009 EDT

I am installing as root and the above directory exists.

Hoping someone has the answer.
Thanks!
Ultramundane
Participant

Re: InfoSphere Installation aborting installing db2

Post by Ultramundane »

Ultramundane wrote:I downloaded the new version of 8.1.0.0 named 8.1.0.0 :) and now the InfoSphere Installation is aborting when trying to install db2 with this error message:

DB2 Setup log file started at: Tue Apr 14 20:23:46 2009 EDT

Operating system information: AIX 5.3
ERROR: The FILE keyword value is not creatable or writable: "/dstage/IBM/db2/V9".

DB2 Setup log file finished at: Tue Apr 14 20:23:55 2009 EDT

I am installing as root and the above directory exists.

Hoping someone has the answer.
Thanks!
After looking at this for sometime and IBM not knowing what to do, I decided to just do a chmod -R 777 on everything. To my astonishment it worked. I hope to see the permissions documented better. If I missed it, so be it. But, I could not find a clear section in the mess.

Thanks all for your help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Curious. Were you really root? The root user ought not to be affected by file system permissions. I wonder if the install script starts other processes under different IDs to do things. We ought to begin pressuring IBM for better documentation of these kinds of issues - you're placing your total trust in them by running their scripts as superuser, and deserve to be fully acquainted with what their scripts do. Particularly those bits that hide their functionality in Java classes and the like, and generate lots and lots of stack trace that are no use whatsoever without the source.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

ray.wurlod wrote:Curious. Were you really root? The root user ought not to be affected by file system permissions. I wonder if the install script starts other processes under different IDs to do things. We ...
Yeah, I was running with the root account. I thought that it should handle this especially when it is not documented that certain filesystems need to be owned by bin:bin. They just kinda take it for granted that everyone will choose to intsall the components in /opt and /usr. Also, the installation filled up home directory and I now I have to manually remove the whole thing and start over again. I could not find anywhere in the documentation where it said my user home directories had to be a certain size. Well, they do because db2 installs software in the home directories. :evil:
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

You must be kidding me to grant 777 on everthing?!
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

lstsaur wrote:You must be kidding me to grant 777 on everthing?!
Yes, did this as something to try. Then I did a chown bin:bin and that worked. So, I did a chmod 755.