DB2 client on AIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

v2kmadhav
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2 client on AIX

Post by v2kmadhav »

Hi All,

We have been using an ODBC stage to extract data from a remote DB2 database. Due to the magnitude of data we are receiving we feel that using a DB2 plugin would fasten things for us. However we would need some clarification in understanding if a DB2 client tool should be a licensed product or should be something that should have been installed whilst setting up the database.

The problem is that this is a migration project and we would be extracting data from different DB2 sources belonging to different groups so its gonna be tough to associate it with one license...

So buying DB2 client ..... is that the best solution for this???
Datastage version is 7.5.2 and AIX is 5.1.2
Please suggest.

Thanks in advance,
VM
v2kmadhav
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by v2kmadhav »

Hello Everyone

Any suggestions...please

cheers
VM
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Patience is a virtue my friend. Anywho, yes get the client and install it on your server. Its seperate than your database as its usually installed on remote servers that require access to the database.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you saying that your organization does not have an DB2 licenses itself but has the need to access DB2 on 'remote' databases? In that case you may very well need to purchase DB2, I'd be surprised if the client itself could be obtained separately and without cost, but who knows.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
v2kmadhav
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by v2kmadhav »

Guys

Thanks for your response.
Our DB2 databases do have licenses. i also see an attempted installation of DB2 client on our datastage box done ages ago, which doesn't seem to have all the folders it should ideally have.

We have a DB2 database that we need to extract data from, located in different countries. So wasn't sure if the DB2 Client could be linked to any one of them or is that a different license you need to have.

in simple words i wanna know if a license is for (the database + a client) or they are two licenses for each.

Thanks in advance again.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That would really be a question for IBM, but I would think one would cover both - but don't take my word for it, go back to the source to be sure.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
v2kmadhav
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by v2kmadhav »

Thanks for your reply Chulett.

i managed to get in touch with a few sales people who say that its a licensed product...

need to dig into this and find if a license was ever held for this as i see a installation attempt.

anyone else been here before???

cheers
Madhav