DS sequencer finished even the job is aborted

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumarb.suneel
Participant

DS sequencer finished even the job is aborted

Post by kumarb.suneel »

Hi,
can any body please let me know how the sequencer got 'FinishOk' even the job got aborted example:
sequencer is having 4 jobactivities in which 2 job activities(jobs) got successfull and the other 2 got aborted,and the sequencer is finishOk.
Is this a Datastage issue?

thanks in anticipation
BugFree
Participant

Post by BugFree »

hi,

It is not at all the DataStage issue. I can assume that you have not given proper link condition in sequence. :)
By default the link condition is "Unconditional" and hence it will trigger the second Job Activity irrespective of the 1st Job Activity (Job) status.

If you want to terminate your sequence upon the job failure, from the Job Activity stage you have to take 2 links. One for success link and another for failue link.
Each link should have proper Link condition. The failure link should go to the Terminate activity which inturn aborts the sequence in case of failure.

So, cross check your sequence design and ensure that you handled the Job failure properly.
Ping me if I am wrong...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you checked the compiler option "automatically handle activities that fail"? Do you have an Exception Handler in your sequence? Do you understand how to manage failure in sequences?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumarb.suneel
Participant

Post by kumarb.suneel »

Thank you for your response.
Mr. Ray can you please explain what do you mean by exception handling in sequencer,how to handle failures in sequencer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, I could, but no more lucently than the on-line help and manuals do.

An Exception Handler is an activity you can use in a job sequence. The compile option "automatically handle activities that fail" lets you handle failures of other activities in three ways.

Tune in to tomorrow's Webinar on exactly this topic. Go to www.dsxchange.net for more information about Webinars.

Oh, and you'll need to have premium membership for this Webinar - it's one of the "premium members only" ones.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.