Before/After Stage subroutines

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

praveensuss
Participant

Before/After Stage subroutines

Post by praveensuss »

Hi,
This is the first time I am trying to use a Before or After stage subroutine in a DataStage job. I have Information Server 8.1 installed in my system.

I have copied the below text from the Parallel job Developer guide,
To specify a routine, click the stage properties button in the toolbar to open the Stage Properties dialog box. The General tab contains the following fields: v Before-stage subroutine and Input Value. Contain the name (and value) of a subroutine that is executed before the stage starts to process any data. v After-stage subroutine and Input Value. Contain the name (and value) of a subroutine that is executed after the stage has processed the data.

But when I open the stage properties and select Stage -- >General tab, I do not find the Before-Stage or AFter-Stage subroutine option for any stages. Similarly, I do not find for calling routines in the Job Properties also. I am just wondering if this option has been removed from this latest version of DataStage. Kindly help me..

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I am not at a DataStage client at the moment, but know that I have used Before/After job routines at Version several times in the past so they are still in the product. I would guess that the before/after routines in stages might refer to BASIC transform stages, though.
praveensuss
Participant

Post by praveensuss »

ArndW wrote:I am not at a DataStage client at the moment, but know that I have used Before/After job routines at Version several times in the past so they are still in the product. I would guess that the before/a ...
Hi ArndW,
I could not see your complete reply as I am not a premium member..
Thanks.
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

once u open the job press control+j and the job properties will pop up.. u have the before and after subroutine box there.. or check in the transformwe properties as said...
Thanks
Karthick
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Before/After Stage subroutines

Post by Sreenivasulu »

praveensuss wrote:Hi,
This is the first time I am trying to use a Before or After stage subroutine in a DataStage job. I have Information Server 8.1 installed in my system.

hi..
You would have opened a sequencer. Its present only in job propeties
of a 'JOB'

Regards
Sreeni

To specify a routine, click the stage properties button in the toolbar to open the Stage Properties dialog box. The General tab contains the following fields: v Before-stage subroutine and Input Value. Contain the name (and value) of a subroutine that is executed before the stage starts to process any data. v After-stage subroutine and Input Value. Contain the name (and value) of a subroutine that is executed after the stage has processed the data.

But when I open the stage properties and select Stage -- >General tab, I do not find the Before-Stage or AFter-Stage subroutine option for any stages. Similarly, I do not find for calling routines in the Job Properties also. I am just wondering if this option has been removed from this latest version of DataStage. Kindly help me..

Thanks
praveensuss
Participant

Post by praveensuss »

Hi All,

I am checking in Job properties and not in the sequencer properties. I have pretty much worked with DataStage but not on shell scripts and routines. So, I do very well know to access the job properties and stage properties.
The version I am using is 8.1.0. I am still surprised why am I not able to see this.

If I had a provision, I would have provided the screen shot of the same here.

Thanks,
Praveen

Sreenivasulu wrote:

hi..
of a 'JOB'

Regards
Sreeni

Thanks
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Hi Praveen,

That is strange very strange..

Regards
Sreeni
praveensuss wrote:Hi All,

I am checking in Job properties and not in the sequencer properties. I have pretty much worked with DataStage but not on shell scripts and routines. So, I do very well know to access the job properties and stage properties.
The version I am using is 8.1.0. I am still surprised why am I not able to see this.

If I had a provision, I would have provided the screen shot of the same here.

Thanks,
Praveen

Sreenivasulu wrote:

hi..
of a 'JOB'

Regards
Sreeni

Thanks
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

as far as i know only the server job(transformer) has the before / after job subroutine, parallel job (transformer) dosent have it.... could u please tell me which stage are you looking at?
Thanks
Karthick
praveensuss
Participant

Post by praveensuss »

Hi dsuser_cai,

I am looking at Parallel job. I have copied a text from the parallel job developer guide in my first thread of this post. It says that we can call before/after job subroutine in job properties as well as in transformer stage.

Thanks.
dsuser_cai wrote:as far as i know only the server job(transformer) has the before / after job subroutine, parallel job (transformer) dosent have it.... could u please tell me which stage are you looking at?
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Hi Praveen

You are correct. Parallel job does not have before-after stage subroutine in transformer stage. Can you tell me in which scenario you want to use this feature?

Regards
Sreeni
praveensuss wrote:Hi dsuser_cai,

I am looking at Parallel job. I have copied a text from the parallel job developer guide in my first thread of this post. It says that we can call before/after job subroutine in job properties as well as in transformer stage.

Thanks.
dsuser_cai wrote:as far as i know only the server job(transformer) has the before / after job subroutine, parallel job (transformer) dosent have it.... could u please tell me which stage are you looking at?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Parallel jobs do support before-job and after-job subroutines (which are executed by the Conductor process) but do not support before-stage or after-stage subroutines.

The before/after subroutines are server routines whose type is before/after subroutine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.