can i move dataset using mv command

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

can i move dataset using mv command

Post by zulfi123786 »

Hi,

I need to move the dataset from one directory to another.
can i do that using mv command.

Well in the guide Asscential doesn't recommend to copy the datasets using cp command but there is no reference to moving the datasets using mv command.

Any help would be appreciated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can not copy or move or delete a Data Set. A Data Set consists of potentially many files, on the resource disk specified for the various nodes in your configuration file. You have no convenient way of knowing (while at the command line) which files belong to which Data Set. Even if you did, the control file for the Data Set contains pathnames; this control file is not a text file, so can not be edited.

Use the orchadmin command (a copy followed by a delete), or the Data Set Management tool. These are the only safe ways.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
deepak.hsbc
Participant

Post by deepak.hsbc »

You can copy using orch commands !!

orchadmin copy | cp source-descriptor-file target-descriptor-file
"Books are as useful to a stupid person as a mirror is useful to a Blind person."