datastage job parallelism on XP platform

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Aggie99
Participant

datastage job parallelism on XP platform

Post by Aggie99 »

I have datastage server/client installed all in one XP machine. This is to facilitate my learning of the tool.

Given that is my hardware limitation!

My question is, does it make any difference (in processing time) whether I set up the configuration as 2 nodes, 4 nodes, etc. Can I still enjoy parallelism in DataStage?

thanks for your inputs.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I assume that you are on a small XP box, though you didn't say what kind of CPU horsepower it has. You can certainly configure any number of nodes for practice. There is no actual connection between CPU's and nodes (something I hammer into my students during DataStage classes). DataStage lets the O/S figure out the best way to service its requests.

However, with that said - remember that the more nodes that are active the more simultaneous requests for processing are taking place on that system. In your case I'd recommend just configuring two nodes. Any job that works correctly with two nodes should work correctly no matter what number of nodes are in place. Two nodes allows you to test parallelism without overloading your machine.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

We don't have enough information about your personality to make any statement about what you find enjoyable.
:lol:

Other than that, as Andy said, it's simple (resource) supply and demand.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Aggie99
Participant

Post by Aggie99 »

thanks Andy, that surely helps.

Ray, thanks for your humor remark regarding my "datastage enjoyment" :)