can i install DS PX on windowsXP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

can i install DS PX on windowsXP

Post by zulfi123786 »

Hi I an new to DS and want to know if i can install PX on windows XP or do i need to have windows server.
If i install PX on windows Platform having intel core 2 duo processor then can i utilize the parallelism concept as i have two cores or would it count as a single node.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Windows XP is not a supported platform. The licensing documentation you received when you purchased the software should have mentioned this.

One can get DataStage Enterprise Edition to work on Windows XP but one would never get support for it.

Parallelism is about processes. You can even run small enough parallel jobs on a single core CPU.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's also the question of what version did you install? The only pre-8 version that will run PX jobs on Windows is 7.5x2 - yes, with an 'x'. Others will let you build but not run.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mekrreddy
Participant

Post by mekrreddy »

PX in Datastage started from version 7.5, you can install in Windows XP professional. Before installing Datastage install .net framework, Java, C++ compiler (Visual Studio Express Edition).

PX needs a C++ compiler to compile and run the parallel jobs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

PX as a name no longer exists. It was a marketing fantasy based on an incorrect premise, and very short-lived. Use EE (Enterprise Edition).

It requires not "a" C++ compiler - it requires the approved C++ compiler. And this needs to be installed before DataStage is installed.

But it remains the case that you will have an unsupported combination, even assuming that you have a valid licence. A Windows licence for DataStage server specifies Server 2003.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.