percentages of CPU

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yxie
Premium Member
Premium Member

percentages of CPU

Post by yxie »

Hi All,

In my job, I use Oracle Enterprise Stage as source instead of ODBC, and replace lookup stage with diff stage, what I found throgh monitor is that the Elapsed time is very close, but the CPU percentages are less, is my observation correct?
does this help to improve profermance?

By the way is ODBC runing faster than Orace Enterprise stage in case of complex join query?

Your advice will be highly appreciated!

Yan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Be very careful with these numbers, particularly for short-running jobs. The CPU is sampled only at the indicated refresh interval in the monitor. Whether one is larger than the other does not really reveal much. Maybe the ODBC driver does more processing than the Oracle client software - highly likely, because the driver probably ends up invoking some at least of the Oracle client software.

And who knows whether ODBC Enterprise or Oracle Enterprise will be faster? There are many factors that may affect this, and you have not provided enough information to let us decide. For example is the array size the same in both? You have not even advised how you are measuring "fast".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yxie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yxie »

Thanks Ray, just been this project few weeks I will do more study on that.