Concept of API(Application Programming Interface)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Puli
Participant

Concept of API(Application Programming Interface)

Post by Puli »

hi,

what is API concept all about, how its related with DS,.

we have some DB2/UDB API AND TERADATA API stages ,please let me know the feasibility of these stages

when i googled it, i got something like C++ API, JavaAPI.... what are they?are they related to DS....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

API = Application Programming Interface

All that means is a library of functions that programmers can use to achieve some result.

For example IBM provides an API that you can use to access DB2 programmatically. This is the DB2 API. Someone once authored a DataStage stage that invokes functions in the DB2 API. This stage is called the DB2 API.

There is also an API for working programmatically with DataStage. This is called the DataStage API. The dsjob command is an example of a program that uses functions in the DataStage API.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Well, Java API package for DataStage consists of Stage class, Column class, and Row class. Various methods in these classes for you to manipulating rows and querying meta data. However, these classes can be used only when using the Java client stage and the Java Transformer stage.