BASIC Transformer question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mydsworld
Participant

BASIC Transformer question

Post by mydsworld »

Please let me know the difference between parallel Transformer and BASIC Transformer in parallel job. Which one is useful under which scenario.

Thanks.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Visibly, there is no difference other than mentioned in the documentation. BASIC transformer has access to BASIC functions (functions that you could use in a server job's transformer).

When your situation demands any BASIC function in a PX job (that are not available in your PX transformer), then you could go for a BASIC transformer stage.
Kandy

Post by ray.wurlod »

Interview question?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mydsworld
Participant

Post by mydsworld »

No, it is not for interview.

I am using 5 BASIC transformers in a parallel job (needs to call some server routines & macros not available in parallel transformer). The job fails with the error :

node_node1: Fatal Error: Unable to start ORCHESTRATE process on node node1 (x40bdwas01): APT_PMPlayer::APT_PMPlayer: fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable

The job however worked with parallel transformer without those calls.So, my dbout is on the BASIC transformer.

Please advise.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This would have been a much better place to start then, rather than the extremely generic "what's the difference" question.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mydsworld
Participant

Post by mydsworld »

I already have one started with 'ORCHESTRATE error ', but no one has responded to it yet.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This one?

viewtopic.php?p=312693

That's probably because there's zero in the way of detail in it, at least here you've added some pertinent information re: the job design.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers