DS Load Method

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bensonian
Participant

DS Load Method

Post by bensonian »

Hi,

I was wondering to know when we use 'Write method' as Load, does it create 'Table level locks' on the table during the process of loading. If somebody could shed more light on this, it would be great.

Thanks
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

I have not used the Oracle loader, but have used the Teradata and DB2 loads. They both lock the tables, not because of DataStage, but because of the underlying RDBMS utilities that are used (db2 load, Teradata FastLoad).

So what does this have to do with your Oracle situation? Figure out what Oracle utility DataStage uses to do the loads and look at the Oracle documentation to determine the rules for using the load utility. If the tool locks the table running from the command line or via PL/SQL, then I would assume that when DataStage invokes the load utility, it, too, will lock the table.

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oracle uses SQL*LOAD (or, if you prefer, sqlldr), which does indeed set a table level lock (as, indeed, it must).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.