how to get server transformer stage in parallel jobs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mallikharjuna
Participant

how to get server transformer stage in parallel jobs?

Post by mallikharjuna »

i have few routines in datastage server jobs, i have one requirenment in parallel jobs to use those routines? how to get the server tansformer stage in paralle jobs?

Regards
Malli
MALLI
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Open Parallel Job -->expand Processing Palette --> right click & choose Customization --> Customize..--> under repository item & under Stage types expand Parallel and highlight BASIC Tranformer and move it to right side window (Current Palatte groups and shortcut items:).
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.
By William A.Foster
mallikharjuna
Participant

Post by mallikharjuna »

Thanks srimitta.
MALLI
mallikharjuna
Participant

Post by mallikharjuna »

is it posiible to use the server transformer with parallel job stages?
MALLI
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Yea, but it will run in sequential and not in parallel mode.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not true. The BASIC Transformer stage can run in parallel, though every node on which it executes must be on the (a) machine where the DataStage server engine is installed.

You can also include server shared containers in parallel jobs, subject to certain restrictions that are documented in Chapter 2 of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide - this is another way to incorporate server Transformer stage.

The difference is that a BASIC Transformer does not perform lookups, while a server Transformer can.

In any event, try not to do any of these things. Figure out how to do what you want to do using native parallel stage functionality as much as possible.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Ray, So you mean to say that BASIC transformer stage is same as Server Transformer stage. I was thinking that BASIC transformer is a PX stage.
Kandy

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since I pointed out the difference between BASIC Transformer and server Transformer in my post, how can you claim that I said they're the same?!!

Premium membership is inexpensive, at less than 30c (Rs12) per day, and helps to fund the hosting and bandwidth costs incurred by DSXchange.com.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

The question was "is it possible to use server transformer in parallel job?"

DSGuru told that it can be used and it will be executed in sequential mode.

Then you started with "Not true. BASIC transformer can run in parallel" So i ended up asking whether BASIC transformer is nothing but Server transformer?

Anyways, hope the poster is clarified.
Kandy

Post by kandyshandy »

Ray, since i could not see your complete posting, the confusion happened i guess. I will become a premium member soon to take a look.
Kandy
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

While similar, they are not the same stage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... and I did specify how you can get a server Transformer stage into a parallel job as well as talking about the BASIC Transformer stage.
stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stefanfrost1 »

I am not sure that we did something really wrong, but we had a consultant which implemented transformations in parrallel jobs using a BASIC tarnsformer and we had problems with all those jobs every 3-5 run, where the job would fail due to broken pipes. I spent 4-6 month recoding every job into parallel transformers and we got runtime stability....
-------------------------------------
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/bi-aj
my blog on delivering business intelligence using agile principles
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The very point I made at the end of my first post in this thread.