Lookup and Defaults (NULLS)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Lookup and Defaults (NULLS)

Post by Raftsman »

I am retrieving multiple fields from the Lookup reference data when matched. One of these fields is a date. When a match is not found, the target link receives "*******" in the date field. Because it's nullable, I would of assumed it to contain nulls when not found. If this is not the case, what are my options. I really didn't want to check each field subsequent to the lookup and force nulls.

Thanks,
Jim Stewart
infranik
Participant

Re: Lookup and Defaults (NULLS)

Post by infranik »

are you using a transformer stage before you see the value '*******' in the target stage?
If yes then is there any implicit type conversion being done for that field?

rgds,
Nik
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

No, from the Lookup Stage I did a Peek.
Jim Stewart
BugFree
Participant

Post by BugFree »

Try to dump the records in DataSet rather than the peek and view the data->for debug purpose.
Ping me if I am wrong...
BugFree
Participant

Post by BugFree »

Try to dump the records in DataSet rather than the peek and view the data->for debug purpose.
Ping me if I am wrong...
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

We did initially and it was still a problem. All I am trying to determine is how to set the value defaulted to nulls in a Lookup if not found. If the datatype is nullable, I thought the value initially would contain Nulls.
Jim Stewart
infranik
Participant

Post by infranik »

can you do a 'view data' on the lookup reference source? (it may be a dataset or a table) . does it also have the same '******' in the date field?
if yes then maybe you have to look closely at how you are creating the lookup reference dataset. is the date field nullable in that?