Server to PX Conversion/Migration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Govindarajan
Participant

Server to PX Conversion/Migration

Post by Govindarajan »

Is there any procedural way of converting all Server Jobs from 7.5.2 version to 8.0.1 version of PX, instead of re-creating equivalent PX jobs by manually?
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

You mean an automated procedural way? Not really.

Do you really need to convert all of your server jobs to parallel jobs? I would leave them as server jobs unless there is some compelling reason to change them.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM do have some tools, but you have to buy the service and agree to your jobs being "off-shored". I support Mike's comment totally.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Take the low hanging fruit approach. Leave them as server jobs and then convert those jobs that obviously need to run in parallel - the really long running bottleneck jobs. Redesign those jobs for parallel paying attention to where the sorts happen and what type of lookups you use - not something you would trust to a conversion tool.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The main tool for conversion is located between the keyboard and the chair.

Analyze the logic of the server job, identify need for parallelism (and for partitioning and sorting), then design a parallel job from scratch to re-create the logic of the server job. Forget everything you know about server jobs when doing this (or buy the Server to Parallel Transition Lab DVD from DSXchange Learning Center).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.