The provided update statement did not prepare correctl

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

The provided update statement did not prepare correctl

Post by coface »

Hello,
I've went through this forum hoping to find any solution or suggestion regarding to our problem - which is a little bit strange from our point of view. It can be described as follows:
we are using DataStage Enterprise Edition release 7.5.3 installed on a HUP-UX box (Intel Itanium). On the same box is a Oracle Database 10g installed - therefore DataStage uses this Oracle 10g environment.
Our developer has created a simple parallel job which reads from database A and writes into database B. This job raises the error:

Oracle_Enterprise_19: The provided update statement did not prepare correctly;
please verify that your statement is correct;
statement: insert into test (spalte_a) values(to_char(sysdate))

As a matter of fact we have tested the statement for correctness - therefore the reason for the error can't be the syntax of the statement itself. The same job works fine when reading from and writing into the same database.
The error doesn't occur when running on our development system (DataStage Enterprise Edition release 7.5.2) - even when reading from database A and writing into database B.
From our point of view either the DataStage release 7.5.3 causes the error or the Oracle 10g environment...

Any help will be appreciated
Rgds
JH
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What data type is this "spalte_a" column? And are you saying that when it works from the 7.5.2 server and doesn't work from the 7.5.3 server they are both connecting to the same instance? Using the same version of the Oracle client?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

chulett wrote:What data type is this "spalte_a" column? And are you saying that when it works from the 7.5.2 server and doesn't work from the 7.5.3 server they are both connecting to the same instance? Using the same version of the Oracle client?
The datatype is varchar2(100).
Sorry - I've forgot to mention:
the DataStage Server release 7.5.3 uses a Oracle 10g environment but the DataStage Server release 7.5.2 uses a Oracle 9i environment.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The key is finding the differences between the two and it sounds like you have. We've seen odd Oracle issues with 10g on HP-UX Itanium boxes, so I'd probably open a support case to see if this is one of the known issues.

What box is the development environment? I was told there's no 9i client available for Itanium, hence the question.
-craig

coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

chulett wrote:The key is finding the differences between the two and it sounds like you have. We've seen odd Oracle issues with 10g on HP-UX Itanium boxes, so I'd probably open a support case to see if this is one of the known issues.

What box is the development environment? I was told there's no 9i client available for Itanium, hence the question.
The support case has already been opened - without any answer yet.
The development server is an HP-UX box (Intel Itanium), too. Therefore no difference at all between the production and development box.
On the development box the complete Oracle RDBMS software (9i) is installed - therefore not just the plain Oracle client software. On the production box is the complete RDBMS software (10g) installed.

We were told that DataStage fully supports Oracle 10g - therefore we are astonished that the problem/error might be due to the version of Oracle...

Rgds
JH
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Don't be - there are all kinds of goofy problems you can lay square at the feet of particular Oracle versions that have nothing to do with DataStage. It may be as simple as using a different / more stable version of the client on your DataStage server. What exact 10g version of the client? Is there a newer client version available?
-craig

coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

chulett wrote:Don't be - there are all kinds of goofy problems you can lay square at the feet of particular Oracle versions that have nothing to do with DataStage. It may be as simple as using a different / more stable version of the client on your DataStage server. What exact 10g version of the client? Is there a newer client version available?
The release 10.2.0.3.0 is installed - the release 10.2.0.4.0 is the newest release. But upgrading means to patch the complete database...

BTW: we had to implement a workround since DataStage release 7.5.3 didn't install correctly with Oracle 10g. We had to create a symbolic link which points to a Oracle 10g library
(libclntsh.so.9.0
->/opt/oracle/app/oracle/product/10/database10g/lib/libclntsh.so.10.1). This solution was posted in this forum and shows, that DataStage had a problem with Oracle 10g...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We had to do the same thing, just shows an installer problem specific to Itanium servers. And you may want to consider upgrading to the latest Oracle release - it typically is pretty painless when it's a minor version like that and they've released it for a reason, typically to correct problems in the previous release without adding too many in the new one. :wink: Talk to your DBA.
-craig

coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

chulett wrote:We had to do the same thing, just shows an installer problem specific to Itanium servers. And you may want to consider upgrading to the latest Oracle release - it typically is pretty painless when it's a minor version like that and they've released it for a reason, typically to correct problems in the previous release without adding too many in the new one. :wink: Talk to your DBA.
I am the DBA :wink: .
And since we have several databases we just don't patch a single one. Of course upgrading to the newest release might relsove the problems - but release 10.2.0.3.0 is a stable release - and of course we would like to know why the described error occurs in the current configuration...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I know some people who wouldn't consider any release of Oracle particularly stable. :wink:

Seems to me you are squarely in the hands of IBM and Oracle for this resolution. Let us know what you find out! I'm really curious what the culprit here is going to turn out to be.
-craig

coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

chulett wrote:I know some people who wouldn't consider any release of Oracle particularly stable. :wink:

Seems to me you are squarely in the hands of IBM and Oracle for this resolution. Let us know what you find out! I'm really curious what the culprit here is going to turn out to be.
OK, I will let you know when some kind of thoughts - either from Oracle or from IBM - have come around.
Thanks for your help so far...

Rgds
JH
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

coface wrote:
chulett wrote:I know some people who wouldn't consider any release of Oracle particularly stable. :wink:

IBM solved that issue with a patch - especially for us :D
That patch solved several issues regarding DataStage 7.5.3, Oracle 10g and HP-UX...
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

coface wrote:

IBM solved that issue with a patch - especially for us :D
That patch solved several issues regarding DataStage 7.5.3, Oracle 10g and HP-UX...