mgration from 5.22 to 7.5.2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

loe_ram13
Participant

mgration from 5.22 to 7.5.2

Post by loe_ram13 »

Hi,
Need information whether I can migrate my Datastage 5.22 version to Datastage 7.5.2 Version directly.
Are there any problem invovled in migration?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, you can migrate directly. Many such migrations will go without a hitch, but sometimes you might encounter issues. Is it a complex implementation and are there a lot of "special" programs or code? I can't recall if one was still allowed to change parameter values inside jobs at V5, but if yes and you used that functionality you might have to change some of your jobs.
Problems, if any, should be detected at compile time rather than at runtime.
loe_ram13
Participant

Post by loe_ram13 »

Thanks ArndW.It would be really helpful if you can guide me the approach in brief.I know that 5.22 jobs will have to undergo through X Migrator.Then hotfixing of these raw migrated jobs has to be done.But is it necessary first i've to convert to 7.5.1 and then from 7.5.1 to 7.5.2.
Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It sounds like you know more than I do; I haven't heard of the "X Migrator" and don't know what it will do. Perhaps someone else will chime in here and explain that to both of us.
loe_ram13
Participant

Post by loe_ram13 »

Even I am not very sure of XMigrator.I would want to know the approach without using that tool also.Thanks in advance for all the support.
Thanks
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

xmigrator is a Exchange Migration Tool, that simplifies migration from Exchange server to VisNetic MailServer.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So not all that relevant to an ETL tool then?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tkbharani
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tkbharani »

You can migrate your 5.X to 7.X server to server without much strain. But new features & stages should be handfixed.
Use Install and Upgrade Guide's chapter on upgrading and get vendor support.In general you will export each project as a backup first and the upgrade process will automatically upgrade and compile all of your jobs(server)
In case you need to migrate from Server jobs to Parallel jobs, then Xmigrator comes in picture. In your migration I dont think Xmigrator is needed.
Hope its usefull.
Thanks, BK
jpram
Participant

Post by jpram »

ray.wurlod wrote:So not all that relevant to an ETL tool then? ...
Hi Ray,
Can you please help me the with approach in brief that i need to follow and the possible difficulties that I can face while migrating?
Also is this migration a one step process i.e. directly from Version 5.22 to version 7.5.2??
Or are there any intermediate steps like first converting to any of the intermediate version???
My existing datastage server is in unix platform and datastage cleint is on winodws XP.

Thanks in advance.
jpram
Participant

Post by jpram »

tkbharani wrote:You can migrate your 5.X to 7.X server to server without much strain. But new features & stages should be handfixed.
Use Install and Upgrade Guide's chapter on upgrading and get vendor support.In general you will export each project as a backup first and the upgrade process will automatically upgrade and compile all of your jobs(server)
In case you need to migrate from Server jobs to Parallel jobs, then Xmigrator comes in picture. In your migration I dont think Xmigrator is needed.
Hope its usefull.
Hi,Can you please explain more about the upgrade process which you say will happen automatically from 5.22 server to7.5 server??Is the support from vendor absolutely necessary?
Thanks in advance.
tkbharani
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tkbharani »

Its a bit big process in migrating 5.x to 7.x. There different way's how you install or upgrade Datastage.

1. If you have done any installition or upgradition of Datastage previously then you can go straight for a migration with minimal support from vendor, any way DSXCHANGE is there :wink:

2. You should have good command over Datastage administration , else get help of others.

If you are not confident of above two, please step in with care.
Thanks, BK
jpram
Participant

Post by jpram »

tkbharani wrote:Its a bit big process in migrating 5.x to 7.x. There different way's how you install or upgrade Datastage.

1. If you have done any installition or upgradition of Datastage previously then you can go straight for a migration with minimal support from vendor, any way DSXCHANGE is there :wink:

2. You should have good command over Datastage administration , else get help of others.

If you are not confident of above two, please step in with care.
Hi tkbharani,
Administration part can be taken care of by experienced DS Administartors we have.
As developer,what are the necessary changes that needs to be encorporated to your datastage job???There are lots of batch jobs running in 5.22.Will they be affected in any way due to migration???
Thanks
JaiPrakash
tkbharani
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tkbharani »

I don't have clear idea on this...but still when u create a batch ..it also gets created as a job. So I think it will work. Any way an expert answer would make this more clear.
Thanks, BK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Install 7.5.2.

Export projects from 5.2. Verify (import into 5.2 without actually importing anything).

Create corresponding projects in 7.5.2.

Import into 7.5.2 projects.

Re-compile jobs and routines on 7.5.2 just in case (use Multi-Job Compile tool).

Done.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jpram
Participant

Post by jpram »

First of All,Thanks everyone for such quick response.
As far as I Know,7.5 does not support Hashed File Stage.
Correct me if I am wrong.
If I am corect,what should be the way to handle hashed file stage?