Clear Job log automatically

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Clear Job log automatically

Post by shrey3a »

Hi,

We have a always running job and job logs become huge after 2-3 days.

Requirement is to clear the job logs automatically when the job is running.

We tried to set the automatic purge log after 2 days but it did not clear out the logs if the job is running.

Regards,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is nothing in the product to clear the job log while its job is running. Log purge occurs on successful completion of a job.

So the "requirement" would have to be solved with a routine. Personally I think it's a silly requirement - why not tighten the auto-purge setting for that job to, perhaps, keep only one job?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shrey3a »

Hi,

We have only one job which will be always running in production..its a NRT job sourcing from MQ and populating DB2.

As you said log purge only occurs during during succesful completition of job .....but in our case the job log becomes too big and only time we can clear is after 12-14 days i.e. job will be stopped every 10-12 days...we were thinking of some procedure to clear the log while its running.

Regards,
ray.wurlod wrote:There is nothing in the product to clear the job log while its job is running. Log purge occurs on successful completion of a job.

So the "requirement" would have to be solved with a routine. Personally I think it's a silly requirement - why not tighten the auto-purge setting for that job to, perhaps, keep only one job?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Out of curiousity, what is causing the log growth? If there are a plethora of warnings being generated, could not the job be modified to tone them down or perhaps eliminate them?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shrey3a »

Hi,

We are trying to reduce the warnings...but then also every time the data i.e. message is processed thru containers it add few lines to code and we are processing like 20-30 messages every 10 seconds.

Regards,

chulett wrote:Out of curiousity, what is causing the log growth? If there are a plethora of warnings being generated, could not the job be modified to tone them down or perhaps eliminate them?