Stored Procedure to target stage Logic

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

angelnelson
Participant

Stored Procedure to target stage Logic

Post by angelnelson »

Hi,

I am calling a stored procedure which will be executed for each row in the source in my job. Based on the return values of this procedure, the records will be inserted/updated into the target table.

I have a situation like the link from procedure to target should work on row by row. That is, the procedure will return the first row value, based on this insert/update will be performed. After oracle commit, Stored procedure will process the second row and so on.

I thought of doing it in a loop activity by calling the stored procedure as a seperate job. But afraid about the performance since to process a single row a job would be called.

Kindly give your valuable suggestions on the different ways of solving it.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The obvious question is "why not just use a SELECT"?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
angelnelson
Participant

Post by angelnelson »

ray.wurlod wrote:The obvious question is "why not just use a SELECT"? ...
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply.
I am migrating the OWB code into Datastage 8. My requirement is to use the existing oracle procedures. The existing procedure will be doing the SCD logic Type 1 or type 2.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Resist silly requirements. Either you're migrating the OWB code into DataStage or you're not. Which is it?
You have version 8. Therefore you have the DataStage SCD stage, which can do both Type 1 and Type 2.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fredy
Participant

Post by fredy »

ray.wurlod wrote:Resist silly requirements. Either you're migrating the OWB code into DataStage or you're not. Which is it?
You have version 8. Therefore you have the DataStage SCD stage, which can do both Type 1 ...
Ray, Thanks a lot for your explanation.

Even if i implement stored procedure logic in datastage, i am facing one problem.
My source is having multiple records for a single id in the target. When the first record comes, it should be inserted into the target. If any more record with the same id comes from the source then, the first inserted record should be updated by the new incoming record.

In a single run, the above logic needs to be implemented.

Kindly suggest me if there is a way to implement it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The SCD stage takes care of all of that, by using memory-mapped copies of the dimension tables. Read Vincent's blog or the IBM collateral to see how it's done.
angelnelson
Participant

Post by angelnelson »

ray.wurlod wrote:The SCD stage takes care of all of that, by using memory-mapped copies of the dimension tables. Read Vincent's blog or the IBM collateral to see how it's done. ...
Hi Ray,
Thank you very much for your response. Now I am trying to solve it by SCD stage.
My requirement is as follows:
"If dimension record found, then check for TYPE2 column. If this doesnt change then update the existing record with new one. Else maintain the history and insert the new record. If dimension record is not found then insert the new record."
Is this possible with SCD stage?
Kindly give me your suggestions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just mark the column as "Type 2 change". You will also need some way to identify the expired record - either a date or a flag.

Code: Select all

Dimension
             |
             |
             V
source ---> SCD_stage ---> Fact
             |
             | 
             V
           Dimension