Generating Metadata Automatically

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sakthi_Sst
Participant

Generating Metadata Automatically

Post by Sakthi_Sst »

Hi All,

Is there a way of automating the process of Metadata Generation?

My requirement would be like this :

1.If the metadata of a file is present in an excel/text/word file, Can that be read and converted into a internal Metadata format in Datastage automatically.

If there is, please guide me through this and any other way of acheiving this scenario.
Sakthi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not that I recall, no.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

RCP and schema file. You'll have to build the functionality to take your metadata file and put it into a EE schema file format. This schema file is then used as the property of the EE Sequential file stage to read your data with RCP enabled. That's it in a nutshell.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There are a couple ways. I once worked with someone who built a MS Word macro that took a Word table and turned it into a DataStage table definition in the format of an export file. This could be used to import Word metadata tables into DataStage table definitions.

The other way is to use FastTrack - the Information Server source to target mapping tool in version 8.0.1. It can import mappings from a spreadsheet or access metadata from the dozens of metadata bridges in version 8. It can then automate some of the source to target mapping work and generate DataStage jobs.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

vmcburney wrote:I once worked with someone who built a MS Word macro that took a Word table and turned it into a DataStage table definition in the format of an export file.
Now that's an interesting thought.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers