Issue about DSEXPORT.exe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ramani
Participant

Issue about DSEXPORT.exe

Post by Ramani »

SET DSExportCmd="C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5\DsExport.exe"

SET Host=aaa
SET User=bbb
SET Password=ccc
SET Job=ddd
SET Project=eee

Echo Exporting %Job%

%DSExportCmd% /H=%Host% /U=%User% /P=%Password% /JOB=%Job% %Project% %Job%.dsx

I have the above code in a bat file and when I run this, I get the dsx file for that job, but the problem what I have is that, it takes the shared container export as well used in this job.

So when I take individual jobs export from this project, I would have .dsx file for each job and each job has this shared container export as well. So when I try to import, it is trying to import the shared container as well.

So how to skip this shared container export while taking the job design export which acutally uses a shared container.
Thanks
deanwalker
Participant

Post by deanwalker »

There was a workaround for this - can you try an export from the Manager without dependent items, and then your dsexport may not include them.
Ramani
Participant

Post by Ramani »

I am trying to automate this. So I would have to use script to do this anyway.
Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Issue about DSEXPORT.exe

Post by chulett »

Ramani wrote:So how to skip this shared container export while taking the job design export which acutally uses a shared container.
I don't believe this is possible from the command line.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
deanwalker
Participant

Post by deanwalker »

Ramani wrote:I am trying to automate this. So I would have to use script to do this anyway.
Ok, but if you found which registry settings were used by DS, you could change these from your script too.
Ramani
Participant

Post by Ramani »

I could not quite catch the registry setting for this. Could you please give some lights on this. Thanks for your help.
Thanks
deanwalker
Participant

Post by deanwalker »

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ascential Software\DataStage Client\Manager]
"Export Referenced Containers"="0"

---------
Probably best to use the Manager to set the option, export, unset the option, export, close Manager, then use regedit to export this value - as the .reg file is Unicode or at least double-byte.
Ramani
Participant

Post by Ramani »

I have checked the registry. It is already set to 0 in registry. But still It is taking the shared container export as well. Any other suggestions. Thank you.
Thanks
deanwalker
Participant

Post by deanwalker »

True, doesn't work - sorry.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Let me be more emphatic - this is not possible from the command line.
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

A friend of mine Preston wrote a Perl script to strip out the shared containers and all the dependent objects. He based it on a script called dsx_split.pl or something close to that posted on this forum. We took the DataStageBackup.bat script on my tips page and turned it into DataStageMigrate.bat. The first script creates a file called JobList.txt from DIR *.dsx. The second we create this file manually in an editor. When we run this script it exports these jobs, next it imports them to the server and project on the command line. Next it compiles the job. Last it creates a audit trail in a table by creating a sql text file and running SQL Server's command line tool to run the insert statement. So know we know what migrated and when and by whom. Nice little tool.

We also copy the dsx files and check them into CVS.
Mamu Kim
Ramani
Participant

Post by Ramani »

thanks for your suggession.

If I get this script dsx_split.pl, how do I run this from my system. I have windows xp SP2. Do I have to install any software active perl or something, from where can I get that download.
Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, you would need Perl. Does Google not work for you? Searching for "perl windows" should do the trick.
-craig

Ramani
Participant

Post by Ramani »

thanks. I got that.
Thanks