Unable to extend sys.dba_extents Oracle Enterprise

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

krishobby
Participant

Unable to extend sys.dba_extents Oracle Enterprise

Post by krishobby »

Hello,

I am using DS8.0 and for the past couple of days, I am unable to use Oracle Enterprise Stage as it throws this error Unable to extend sys.dba_extents. I used another user id and it throws the error ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

When I checked from SQL*Plus both these user ids has access to all these tables
DBA_EXTENTS
DBA_DATA_FILES
DBA_TAB_PARTITONS
DBA_TAB_SUBPARTITONS
DBA_OBJECTS
ALL_PART_INDEXES
ALL_PART_TABLES
ALL_INDEXES

The jobs have been working fine till couple of days back and suddenly we are getting this issue, when I spoke to the DBAs and ETL admins nothing has changed from their side, atleast thats what they told me.

When I use DRS stage using the same ids it works fine. Searched the forums couldnt find anything related to this, would appreciate any help in this regard.

Chris
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Being able to access the DBA_EXTENTS is very different from being able to extend them; this is an Oracle issue that needs to be addressed by your DBA. An alternative if the extents are large enough is to reduce your transaction sizes so that this space does not fill up.
krishobby
Participant

Post by krishobby »

We are not even trying to load, just trying to view the data on a table with 10 rows, still it throws the same error.

Already checked with the DBAs and they do have some good amount of space available.
krishobby
Participant

Post by krishobby »

Ooops Sorry, the error doesn't say "Unable to Extend" but says "Access to sys.dba_extents is required but not available; please see your database administrator for select privileges."
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So now you know what changed, in spite of the DBAs saying nothing had - your user's grants.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
krishobby
Participant

Post by krishobby »

[quote="chulett"]So now you know what changed, in spite of the DBAs saying nothing had - your user's grants. ...[/quote]

Here is the part which drives us really nuts, when we login to the database using SQL*Plus/Toad using the same id, we have access to all these tables! But when tried from datastage it throws this error!
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Then double check your user id and password and server name in the Connection properties of the Oracle_Enterprise stage.
krishobby
Participant

Post by krishobby »

I know it sounds crazy, but we did try all that, We double checked all the server parameters, userid, pwd etc. and everything is just fine.

From the ETL Box command line, we were able to connect to the oracle database, but from Datastage it errors out and gives misleading messages.

We are also opening up ticket with IBM.

Chris
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Could you view the data from the Oracle_Enterprise stage?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Unable to extend sys.dba_extents Oracle Enterprise

Post by chulett »

krishobby wrote:The jobs have been working fine till couple of days back and suddenly we are getting this issue
Find out what changed. Obviously something did.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
satish_valavala
Participant

Post by satish_valavala »

Are you able to connect to any other Database(s) using Oracle Enterprise Stage.
Regards
VS
krishobby
Participant

Post by krishobby »

Yes, when I change the connection parameters to another database in a different box, it connects, it throws this error only to this particular environment and the messages are misleading.