ODBC and Orchestrate

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhilashnair
Participant

ODBC and Orchestrate

Post by abhilashnair »

What is the difference between importing table definitions using ODBC method and using Orchestrate method, is one of them accurate than the other one? Which of these is recommended when Database is Oracle 9i?
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

My guess is that the ODBC version will be more generic and basically contain table name, column names and datatypes whereas the Orchestrate method may be more database vendor aware. The basic DDL does not change from database to database when it comes to column and datatypes, but there are subtle differences when they deal with storage (tablespaces, partitioning keys vs. primary indices, etc.)

That is my guess.

Brad
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

That`s exactly correct. If you use the ODBC, the table datatypes may not be exactly as the Oracle definition. It is better to use Orchestrate. That being said, if you deal with CLOB`s and BLOB`s, ODBC works better. Not exactly sure why but we ran into problems for those datatypes.
Jim Stewart