Error inserting into Netezza table using ODBC Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nbd4id1
Participant

Error inserting into Netezza table using ODBC Stage

Post by nbd4id1 »

We've got a very simple job (OS is AIX) that had been working fine until this month when it began failing on our test system with the following error:

ERROR: Attribute 'C0' not found

The job reads from a DataSet, goes through a Transform which does Null handling on those fields that are nullable and then inserts into a Netezza table using an ODBC stage (where the failure occurs). The use of an ODBC stage is required as some of the fields contain special characters that cause the nzload process to fail.

DEBUG gave us this:

2008-07-22 16:51:01.281950 CDT [6208] DEBUG: QUERY: insert into MKW_FLAT_LD_MKV_CIF(CUST_NM,CUST_CRT_DT,CUST_CLS_DT,ACCT_ANALY_IND,ACCT_BILL_FREQ_CD,DEP_PROD_TYP_CD,CUST_REC_TYP_CD,GCI_ID,CO_CST_CTR_ID,CUST_CLAS_CD,DEP_APP_SYS_ID,ANALY_APP_SY
S_ID,SRC_ACCT_STAT_CD,ACCT_STAT_CD,CUST_ACCT_SRC_ID,CIF_MKT_SEG_GRP_CD,CIF_MKT_SEG_CD,NXT_BILL_DT,IB_ACCT_IND,PHYS_STATE_CD,PER_CCYYMM,CIF_ID_PFX,CIF_ID,CIF_ID_SFX,B
LT_ID_PFX,BLT_ID,BLT_ID_SFX,SUB_PROD_ID,SUB_ACCT_NUM,ACCT_CHRG_STAT_CD,CLIENT_MGR_ID) values
(c0,c1,c2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7,c8,c9,c10,c11,c12,c13,c14,c15,c16,c17,c18,c19,c20,c21,c22,c23,c24,c25,c26,c27,c28,c29,c30)

It appears that c0 through c30 are internal variable names that are incorrectly being passed to Netezza. As Netezza expects character strings to be enclosed in quotes it fails.

Adding a constraint to the Transform that eliminates any records from processing allows the job to complete. That is, if you use constraint CIF_ID > 30000000000 the job completes. If you use CIF_ID <= 30000000000 the job completes. It is only when all records are being processed and only near the very end of processing (just under 10 million records) that the job fails. I've tried adding in a Sort stage both before and after the transform with the same result.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this?

Thanks,
Mark Wilson
Aruna Gutti
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Aruna Gutti »

Have you checked to see whether your job has Runtime column propagation enabled. I had the same issue that got resolved after I disabled the RCP.

Good Luck,

Aruna.
nbd4id1
Participant

Post by nbd4id1 »

Thanks Aruna, I've checked and RCP is not enabled. Also, we don't drop or even create any fields in the transform. The Debug shows that the successful queries pull the c0, c1, c2... variables from an external table. Then there's that one point where the variables are referred to as stand alone values and the job fails. There are some records that can be excluded which will allow the job to run to completion but it would be nice to know why the job fails. Thanks again.
Mark Wilson
venkatmedida
Participant

Post by venkatmedida »

Issue can be resoved by modifying the execution mode in the transformer stages from parallel to sequential. This worked for me.
venkatmedida
Participant

Post by venkatmedida »

Issue can be resoved by modifying the execution mode in the transformer stages from parallel to sequential. This worked for me.