Datastage PX Warning:

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hemanthakumar
Participant

Datastage PX Warning:

Post by hemanthakumar »

Hi All,
My source is sequentialfile in this file the Column Name is CityName,Datatype is char and it is Null field.While loading to
target(Sequentialfile) iam getting the following warning: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "CityName": Exporting nullable field without null handling properties.In transformer field i follow the nullhandling also.{IfIsNotnull(cityname)then cityname Else Setnull() }

If u have any idea about this warning, please let me know

Thanks,
hemanth
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

is it fixed width file or delimited file?
have you defined null field value?
meet_deb85
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by meet_deb85 »

hemanth ...

Plz do null handling at the sequential file stage itself....
The stage requires to do null handling at the source level...

all u need to is go to the columns tab in the stage .... and in the

columns that are nullable go and right click u will get edit row option...

select it and there u can assign a value and that value will be used wherever datastage will get a null value..

If ur column is varchar plz give ''(two single qoutes) as the null field value...

I hope this will solve ur problem...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

meet_deb85, please use a professional standard of English at DSXchange.

It is difficult enough for those participants whose first language is not English when the English is correct. Introducing SMS-style abbreviations, which assume too much, such as "u", "ur" and "plz", only add to their difficulty.

Also we have an occasional posted whose name is U (it's a Burmese name), who might be offended by your usage. Ur was a city in ancient Babylon and, for all we know, Plz might be a town somewhere in the Balkans.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
OddJob
Participant

Post by OddJob »

I agree with your point about using well formed English in this forum to assist all users' understanding.

However, saying that the use of abbreviations is liable to cause offence because the abbreviated form is like somebody's name is maybe taking the point a bit far! Who's to say 'wurlod' isn't a derogatory word in another country!!

In answer to the original post, may I offer the following...
Use a modify or transformer stage prior to the sequential file stage to supply NULL handling, making the output from these stages as 'Not Nullable' thereby allowing the Sequential File stage to be successfully created.

Using a specific stage to handle your null conversion processing is a lot clearer to future users of the job than placing it in the field properties section of the sequential file stage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not is like somebody's name - IS somebody's name.

And you are correct that Wurlod can be derogatory - just ask my former girlfriend!
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The "Full Wurlod" has been banned from all WWF events due to excessive danger of the brain exploding.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

World Wildlife Fund ?
:?