Lookup Fileset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dodda
Premium Member
Premium Member

Lookup Fileset

Post by dodda »

Hello,

I have a clarification on lookup fileset. I have a requirement in which i need to generate a lookup file set which will be used later for the lookup. My question is how many records we can store in lookup file set. Will there be any performance issues based on number records we use to generate lookup file set. Dataset being an option, which one is most preferable for lookup, is it lookup file set or dataset? I might expect around 4000 records to generate lookup file set. My source is flat file.

Thanks
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

I don't think the volumes you are dealing with will be an issue in using a lookup fileset. In terms of performance gains against using a dataset, I think this is something you'd need to prove in your test cycles. One consideration for debugging etc is that you can't view a lookup fileset per se I believe, whereas you can easily view the data held in a dataset.
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The upper limit on the size of a Lookup File Set is limited only by whether the operating system supports large files. Assuming that it does not, and imposes a 2GB per file limit, a Lookup File Set can have up to 10,000 data files per partition. That is, 20,000 GB per partition.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.