7.5.1.A to 7.5.3 upgrade issue with decimal columns in UDB

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

munch9
Premium Member
Premium Member

7.5.1.A to 7.5.3 upgrade issue with decimal columns in UDB

Post by munch9 »

We have just upgraded from 7.5.1.A to 7.5.3 and are seeing some strange issues with decimal values.

The target database is UDB on AIX and it is loaded using an ODBC stage.

The first issue is when trying to insert decimal(8,0) values.
The target column is defined as decimal(8,0) in the database the transformer and the ODBC stage however the value being loaded has the rightmost digit truncated (in this case the actual value is only 6 digits)
If the column is defined as an integer in the transformer and the ODBC stage then the correct value is loaded

The second issue is slightly different although I suspect related.
In this case we are attempting to update a UDB table but one of four key columns is defined as decimal(8,0) throughout the job and the join is failing so no updates occur. If this column is redefined in the job to integer then the join is working and the updates take place.

Both of these jobs were fine before the upgrade so I am at a loss to explain it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, can't really help with your specific UDB issues as I have no experience with it. However, just wanted to comment on your "Both of these jobs were fine before the upgrade so I am at a loss to explain it." comment.

You see things like this from an upgrade for two different reasons. The first is where something was working that really shouldn't have and they've fixed the bug or plugged the hole that allowed it to work. Of course, the other reason is they broke something. Does the "What's New in this Version" document mention anything along these lines for UDB? You should contact your official support provider and check with them on this issue as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Could you please do a
ls -al .../PXEngine/lib/orchdb2op8.o, and post the result here. I might be able to tell you if your version is a good one or not. I just happened to deal with UDB problems in various aspects, and I got so many versions of this library to deal with various UDB/DataStage problems.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Sorry, I missed the part on ODBC Stage. My previous positg is related to UDB EE Stage, please ignore it if not applicable. I will recommend you get the latest Data Direct ODBC Driver sets(I believe it's 5.2) from IBM, and it might fix your problems.
munch9
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by munch9 »

Thanks for the responses.
IBM also suggested upgrading to the newest ODBC driver (Now V5.3).
I'll give this a try and will post the results.