Installation of DataStage 7.5.2 on RedHat Linux 4.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Azzuri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Installation of DataStage 7.5.2 on RedHat Linux 4.0

Post by Azzuri »

Hi All, I come from a Windows environment and have the task to install DS on a Unix box (I don't have much Unix experience).

Just wondering, will I be over my head? I plan to follow the DataStage installation guide

Installling on UNIX Systems
Configuring for Enterprise Edition

I plan to go with a Root install

I am currently waiting for administrator rights on the server box before I begin.

thx in advance
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Without any Unix knowledge, it will be over your head. Talk to your boss, this is not right.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I concur with lstsaur; the UNIX installation guides are more like rough guidelines and they assume that the installer understands the commands used and their implications. You will almost always get some sort of error or message and realize "Oh, I did that as root, I will need to chmod and chown those files", or "That user isn't in that group, so we'll need to use smitty or vi to change it". Without understanding UNIX any problem in the installation will be a show stopper for you.
Azzuri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Azzuri »

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

I have been assured that we will Unix experts available if we do run into issues.

Will let you know how it turns out.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Don't count on the installation guide too much, though you should read through the Guide before you proceed since you don't want to get into situation stated by Arnold...

There are a couple tricks on installing 7.5.2 in RH Linux 4, where the installation guide doesn't touch too much. Post your messages when you encounter any problem in this installation process, I might be able to provide some answers to it.