IBM Information Server - call job variable in another job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Chandrathdsx
Participant

IBM Information Server - call job variable in another job

Post by Chandrathdsx »

Hello,

I have a job-A that does count(*) into a variable cnt from a table and this cnt is written into a dataset. I have two other jobs job-B and job-C, I want to run the job-B if the cnt is 0 otherwise run job-C (i.e., cnt > 0).

How to set this up in the job sequence? Is there any way to recoginize the job variable/field in the job sequence? Any detailed information is highly appreciated. Examples most welcome...

thank you!
Chandu.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Difficult if you're using a Data Set to store the intermediate result; you'd have to use an orchadmin command via an Execute Command activity to retrieve the result. Since it's only a single row, I'd advocate using a server job and posting the count into that job's user status area, whence it can be retrieved using the Job actvity's $UserStatus activity variable and that used in the downstream Nested Condition activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.