Graphical Performance Monitor

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sinhasaurabh014
Participant

Graphical Performance Monitor

Post by sinhasaurabh014 »

I have DSv7.5x2 installed and working in Windows XP-SP2.I can create,compile and run both server jobs and parallel jobs with no issues(except that I am not able to use a transformer in parallel jobs despite having installed VC++ and .net2003)

When i run server jobs,the graphical performance monitor works ok-in a sense that its colour change (black,green,red etc) to signify the state of the job;Further it also gives perormance statistics as how many rows were written on to a link and how many rows per second were processed.

However, when i run any parallel jobs, no such indicators work. The link colour always remains black and the link statistics always show '0 rows processed , 0 rows per second'- even though the job runs succesfully and target file/database is updated.

In DSDirector, when i open the monitor , it also shows status as "Ready" with link colour black and '0 rows processed'
I have tried setting the environment variable "APT_NO_JOBMON" as true and false in subsequents runs but to no avail.

Has anybody ever faced this problem....Can you please suggest what may be a solution to it.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

You might have wrong version of the C++ compiler installed. Or you may need a patch for DS. Contact your IBM support.

As to why your links don't change, is that phenomenon across all your jobs or just one job in particular?
Once you set that environment variable to FALSE, make sure you close down your sessions before you restart your jobs.
Make sure too you have not set RCP on because if that is set then you won't see stats on the links.
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

i have never used datastage on a window server, but heard that the it may be MSK toolkit issue.

try the basis transformer stage.
sinhasaurabh014
Participant

Thanks!!!
If its an MKS issue then probably there is no solution for us.....

I tried the John's suggestion ....I reset the apt_job_mon to false and closed all applications. I even restarted the DS services. However, the problem persists...though when i clicked the run button for a job ,the link did change to green colour and link stats were visible for a flash... Then again it turned to black and the job finishes its "running" and the link stats not displaying anything.

On susbsequent runs,despite restarting the services,the link monitor doesnt turn up(not even the flashes)

This is happening for all the parallel jobs and RCP is not turned on.

I think this is purely a monitor issue as the director correctly displays all the relavant log messages and it also shows correct status os the job.
AmeyJoshi14
Participant

Post by AmeyJoshi14 »

Hi,
I am not sure whether DSParams file is present in Windows OS.. :?
If it is present in Windows :P do check the value in DSParams file for specific project...
In our project environment variable $APT_NO_JOBMON was in the User Defined folder..after taking suggestions from DSGurus :P ...we changed it to Reporting folder and it started working fine..so do check the folder..

Code: Select all

Values in DSParams files before changing was :

APT_NO_JOBMON\ User Defined \-1\String\\0\Project\Disable job monitor\ 

The changes are:

APT_NO_JOBMON \Parallel/Reporting\3\Boolean\0\2\Project\ Report step description\Disable job monitor.
http://findingjobsindatastage.blogspot.com/
Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works. and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)
sinhasaurabh014
Participant

Hi Thanks again!!
DSParams file is indeed there in windows OS....when I checked its content,it was as you have suggested it ought to be....may be because i had set it to false in DSAdministrator. :!:

By the way, it just so happened that after stopping and restarting the DS Services many times, and posting my last post, i took a coffee break. When i came back, i restarted the services and ran the parallel jobs....and to my pleasure the links were turning green and the link stats were being recorded.

So i guess John was right....
For the transfomer issue, i have VC++2005 express edition....isn't that compatible?
bikan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bikan »

I guess DS documentation will guide you related to which compiler s compatible and which is not
Azzuri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Azzuri »

You need Visual Studio 2003 C compiler. Also keep in mind that Windows XP is not a supported OS for DataStage Server.