Reg Datastage and Database installation and config

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSRajesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Reg Datastage and Database installation and config

Post by DSRajesh »

Hi,

In order to install and configure Datastage and DB ,Is it good to install and coonfigure them on the same server or it would be better if we can have on different servers.

What can be the demerit if we follow with second approach.

Can any one suggest me the best approach out of these two before i go with proper installation of DS and DB by considering all merits and demerits.

Thanks
RD
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There is no simple and correct answer. The answer depends upon the computer configurations when separate vs. when on the same box and also on your connectivity between the systems - how fast is the network and does anyone else use it?

Normally the database engine is on a different system from the ETL tool.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Putting the database and DataStage together on the same box *might* give you faster load and extract times for that staging database - however it will be fighting with the DataStage engine for access to RAM, disk I/O and CPU power. Generally since you pay per CPU licenses for both the database and DataStage it is beneficial to put them on separate hardware so you get the full value for those licenses. DataStage will use every bit of CPU and RAM you can give it.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

Given that you are running Windows, I'd recommend put them into separate servers.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree with that. It's a good general rule that's been taught on Windows sys admin training since Windows NT (and probably before). One machine one major application. And don't use your (Windows) domain controllers for anything else.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.