Delete existing record before insert

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

haisen
Participant

Delete existing record before insert

Post by haisen »

Is there any way to delete existing record before insert into the database in a single job? There is a delete before insert in version 7, however I no longer see it in version 8.

The work-around I am doing now is to have a job to read from source and delete from target, and then another job to read from source again and insert into the target.
Participant

Post by 199542 »

Hi ,
which database stage are you using ?/

If you are using oracle enterprise stage then there are different options like

Load , Truncate , Create , Replace ......You can use anyone according to your

requirement .
gikjpjj
shobhitj
Participant

Re: Delete existing record before insert

Post by shobhitj »

Hi haisen,

Please clarify what is the target stage you are using.

For some information i can tell you that for different stages in target what has to be used for the problem specified above:-

Write : It will create the new file
Truncate : It will delete the records from the table & insert the new record in that table.
Replace : It will delete the structure of tha table & makes the table again & inserts the records in table.
Append : It will append the reocrds in the table & ot also touching the reocrds of the table which are present there.

ODBC Enterprise Stage :-
Write Method : Write
Write Mode : Truncate

Oracle Stage :-
Write Method : Load

Dataset Stage :-
Update Policy : Overwrite

Sequential Stage :-
File Update Mode : Overwrite

Netezza Stage :-
Write Method : Write

Let me know if you face some issues

haisen wrote:Is there any way to delete existing record before insert into the database in a single job? There is a delete before insert in version 7, however I no longer see it in version 8.

The work-around I am doing now is to have a job to read from source and delete from target, and then another job to read from source again and insert into the target.
Thanks & Regards,
Shobhit Jauhari
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

N.B. - you cannot "update" anything in either sequential or dataset stages. It is all-or-nothing.
shobhitj
Participant

Post by shobhitj »

Yes in Dataset & sequential file it is the case that you canot update anything & when the job rinsit deletes the file & makes it in new format.
If the jobs gets aborted in between then there will be no file created in server
Thanks & Regards,
Shobhit Jauhari
sreddy
Participant

Re: Delete existing record before insert

Post by sreddy »

Haisen

• As per my knowledge we can go for delete option only the target table has very few records.

Why the people are not using delete rows and then insert records. Here operation is down record by record that is burden on the server also.
    Some time Target table is locked two operation at a time (Delete rows and Insert New records )

Truncate is best option. In this truncate all the records at a time.
    For this best way is writing a script put in VI UNIX file. You put that file path at your job parameters Before Job Subroutine (ExecSH or ExecSH.Silent).

haisen wrote:Is there any way to delete existing record before insert into the database in a single job? There is a delete before insert in version 7, however I no longer see it in version 8.

SReddy
dwpractices@gmail.com
Analyzing Performance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

sreddy - Truncate is the best option? Deleting individual records before inserting them again ("Replace existing rows completely") is not equivalent to truncating the table before inserting. :?

haisen - If that's really what you need to do, I would think you should be still be able to use the original stage rather than the 'enterprise' version of the same stage if that is your issue. As noted, it would help to know what stage / database we're talking about here, 7 versus 8, so that more 'targeted' advice can be given.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
haisen
Participant

Post by haisen »

It is a transaction refresh to Oracle stage. We cannot do truncate nor replace as there is both new and amended records.
haisen
Participant

Post by haisen »

It is a transaction refresh to Oracle stage. We did not use truncate nor replace as there is both new & amended records.
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

so you want to insert, update and delete in a single oracle stage?
haisen
Participant

Post by haisen »

Yes, is there a way to do insert, update & delete all in a single job?
sreddy
Participant

Post by sreddy »

Haisen

As per my knowledge PL/SQL is the only option to do all three in one jobs.

haisen wrote:Yes, is there a way to do insert, update & delete all in a single job?
SReddy
dwpractices@gmail.com
Analyzing Performance
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

so you can go for Stored procedure option.