Mapping Network Drives

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ar_shriks
Participant

Mapping Network Drives

Post by ar_shriks »

Hi all,

We have a requirement to generate to sequential file output to a different NT server. We have mapped a drive to the remote server from the datastage server. We are unable to see this drive when we select the output location for the sequential file.

Do we need to do any additional configurations in datastage environment to see mapped network drives?

Regards,
Shrikanth
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

At the very least you need ALLOWNFS to be set to 1. However DataStage can be very particular with mapped drives; you may have more success using UNC pathnames to refer to files on the remote machines. Usual Windows security considerations still apply; DataStage can not bypass these.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ar_shriks
Participant

Post by ar_shriks »

Thanks Ray. But, I was able to read only part of your response as I am not a member.

The ALLOWNFS is set to 1 in our server.

Regards,
Shrikanth
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Even if the file might not show, can you manually type in the full path to the file in UNC format?
ar_shriks
Participant

Post by ar_shriks »

I provided the UNC name and the job works fine when I run it from Director. But when I schedule the job it gives the error "DSD.SEQOpen Unable to create file \\server\path\filename".
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is a common issue on Windows installations. The network mappings and settings are different for your Director session and the scheduled background job. What kind of network and mappings are you using? Can you explicitly mount these drives for all users?
ar_shriks
Participant

Post by ar_shriks »

What kind of network and mappings are you using? Can you explicitly mount these drives for all users?

I'll have to get this information from our sys. admin. I'll take up this issue with them and see what they can do.

Thanks a lot ArndW.