Using Modify Stage - Substring function

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Lawrence
Premium Member
Premium Member

Using Modify Stage - Substring function

Post by Lawrence »

I am trying to join Data stream 1(DS1) and Data Stream 2(DS2) on the columns DS1.NAME1(Varchar 100) = DS2.NAME2(Varchar 200). To use the Join stage the key columns should have the same name and datatype so I used a modify stage on DS2 to convert DS2.NAME2 to the proper name and Datalength using the following expression

NAME2 = substring[1,100] (NAME1)

The problem is I still get the warnings

Modify_199: When checking operator: When binding output schema variable "outRec": When binding output interface field "NAME1" to field "NAME2": Conversion from source type "string[max=200]" to result type "string": Taking substring of variable-length source string

Join_189: When checking operator: On input data set 1: When binding input interface field "NAME2" to field "NAME2": Implicit conversion from source type "string" to result type "string[max=100]": Possible truncation of variable length string.

I can get rid of those warnings by using a transform stage and mapping NAME1 to NAME2[1,100] but would prefer to use the modify stage since it is a less 'expensive' stage. Does anybody know what expression I should be using in the modify stage to get rid of the warnings?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What happens if you try

NAME2:String[100] = substring[1,100] (NAME1)
Lawrence
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Lawrence »

I get the similiar error message

Modify_199: When checking operator: When binding output schema variable "outRec": When binding output interface field "LOGIN" to field "INVLOCATION_ID": Conversion from source type "string[max=200]" to result type "string[100]": Taking substring of variable-length source string.
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

NAME2:String[100] = substring[1,100] (NAME1)
Make them VARCHARs (string[max=]) not CHARs (string[])
therefore

NAME2:String[max=100] = substring[1,100] (NAME1)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

throbinson - thanks, I felt like I was missing something when I posted that but couldn't check it with a job and just "let it slide". Good catch.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Beware that Modify stage uses zero-based counting. So, if you want the leftmost 100 characters, the Specification should be of the form

Code: Select all

NAME2:String[100] = substring[0,100] (NAME1) 
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Lawrence
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Lawrence »

Unfortunately Warning message still appears. Modify expression is now

NAME2:string[max=100] = substring[0,100] (NAME2)
and the warning message is

Modify_199: When checking operator: When binding output schema variable "outRec": When binding output interface field "NAME1" to field "NAME2": Conversion from source type "string[max=200]" to result type "string[max=100]": Taking substring of variable-length source string
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Try

NAME2:string[max=100] = substring[0,99] (NAME2
Lawrence
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Lawrence »

No change. Same error message :cry:
Lawrence
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Lawrence »

No change. Same error message :cry:
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I just created a test job. Row Generator generates a VarChar(200) column called "InCol", the modify stage creates a column defined as VarChar(100) with a derivation of "OutCol:string[max=100]=substring[0,99 (InCol)" and get a warning of
Row_Generator_0: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "InCol" to field "OutCol": Conversion from source type "string[max=200]" to result type "string[max=100]": Taking substring of variable-length source string.
I would deprecate this warning to be either an informational message or drop it from the log completely, or do this string function in a transform stage.
Lawrence
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks, at least it's good to know I'm not missing anything
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you add an additional Specification to the Modify stage, containing the single word NOWARN, does the warning go away?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Lawrence
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Lawrence »

Yep, 'NOWARN' works. I'm assuming that this is just a generic override for any warning message in the modify stage?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't know about "any". Certainly "some". Read about it in the Orchestrate Operators manual - for some reason the NOWARN Specification is not mentioned in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide.