Basic Routine in dataStage PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sanjumsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Basic Routine in dataStage PX

Post by sanjumsm »

Hi All,
First time I am trying to write a basic routine. My requirement is to extract the first warning message written to director (Log) and write that message to a given table. I do not know the correct function as in Datastage 8 there is no help has been given regarding basic function. can anyone please help me in this regard?

Thanks
Sanjeev
sanjeev kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can not use BASIC routines from within a parallel job (except if you are using a BASIC Transformer stage, or before/after subroutine). Are you using one of these techniques? If so, you need to create the appropriate type of server routine.

There is LOTS of help given on BASIC functions in the help. Start from, for example, the topic "BASIC Tasks" which I believe is a useful portal into all tasks you can perform with the DataStage BASIC programming language.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You should also be able to check the online help Index tab for the 'DSGet' section, where you'll find the various log retrieval functions you can use.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sanjumsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Basic Routine in dataStage PX

Post by sanjumsm »

Ray,

I will write the routine and use that in sequence in routine stage...

Craig,

There is no online help available in Dstage 8.0 like Dstage 7.5.1. That is the problem and hence I put this question.

Thanks
Sanjeev
sanjeev kumar
thumati.praveen
Participant

Post by thumati.praveen »

you can get latest warning message(means last warning message ). By using the DSgetNewstLogID() function.

Cheers,
Praveen.
ArndW
Participant

Re: Basic Routine in dataStage PX

Post by ArndW »

sanjumsm wrote:...There is no online help available in Dstage 8.0 like Dstage 7.5.1. That is the problem and hence I put this question...
Odd, I have V8 and on-line help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would have found that one, if true, to be a little hard to understand.
-craig

hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

For what it's worth, I think samjumsm's comment regarding the lack of online help refers to topics that were specific to server jobs. We've recently converted to v. 8.0.1, and are still running mostly server jobs. I've found that references to functions used only by server jobs (eReplace for example) are no longer to be found in the help for v 8.0.1.
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Help files in version 8.0.1 are messed-up, it's very hard to find help on functions, plug-ins, DS Macros, DS Function, DS Contatants.

DataStage integration with Websphere screwed-up all help files, they are no more user friendly the it was until 7.5.x.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.
By William A.Foster
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, that sucks. Anyone know if 'correcting' this is anywhere in the DataStage roadmap?
-craig

pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Yeah, that really sucks! Somebody should open up a case to IBM to fix it.
I will definitely put this alert to my client for upgrading to V8. Maybe that is IBM's strategy to suppress DataStage community from using Server jobs... :cry:
mydsworld
Participant

Post by mydsworld »

How do we use a BASIC Transformer in PX job. I find there is only one Transformer (called 'Transformer') stage in the Processing pallete.
mydsworld
Participant

Post by mydsworld »

How do we use a BASIC Transformer in PX job. I find there is only one Transformer (called 'Transformer') stage in the Processing pallete.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Look in the repository for the "Stage Types" folder. Your toolbox holds shortcuts to stage types but the full list is held in the repository. You can drag and drop the BASIC Transformer from the Repository to your toolbox areas.
mydsworld
Participant

Post by mydsworld »

Does the use of BASIC Transformer in PX job degrade performance or the reverse.