DS v8 Installation Problems with Oracle 10

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

DS v8 Installation Problems with Oracle 10

Post by sjordery »

Hi all,

I have searched on this, but could not find the specific problem previously listed, so here goes...

We recently had IBM complete a new installation of DataStage version 8 on a Linux OS. Following the installation, the consultant ran serveral test jobs, one of which was to use the Oracle Enterprise stage to connect to an Oracle DB. This job failed with the following:

Code: Select all

Item #: 8
   Event ID: 7
   Timestamp:: 2008-05-08 11:44:53
   Type: Fatal
   User Name: dsadm

Item #: 9
   Event ID: 8
   Message:: main_program: Error loading "orchoracle": Could not load "orchoracle": libclntsh.so.10.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64.

Item #: 10
   Event ID: 9
   Message:: main_program: Could not locate operator definition, wrapper, or Unix command for "oraread"; please check that all needed libraries are preloaded, and check the PATH for the wrappers

Item #: 11
   Event ID: 10
   Message:: main_program: Creation of a step finished with status = FAILED.
The consultant has told us that this is due to one 32 bit versions of the libraries being empty in the lib32 directory. This is apparently a "known installation bug" for which we will be required to contact Oracle directly.

Given this, I was surprised that the issue hadn't been posted up here before as it must be very widespread.

For info, in the lib directory, the libcIntsh.so file is seen as:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle oinstall       53 2006-10-02 14:10 libclntsh.so -> /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/lib/libclntsh.so.10.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 20527539 2006-10-02 14:10 libclntsh.so.10.1
In lib32, we have:

-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall        0 2005-10-22 21:55 libclntsh.so
Does anyone have any suggestions here that would assist please? Do you agree that Oracle should be our first port of call?

Thanks in advance,
S
Cr.Cezon
Participant

Post by Cr.Cezon »

we have a similar problem with version 5r2 and Oracle8.

to solve it we did a link to the correct driver.

try to create a file in lib32 called libclntsh.so.10.1 and link it to the right one.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Do a search on orchoracle. I have provided detailed steps how to fix this problem. Contact Oracle for what?
sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjordery »

lstsaur wrote:Do a search on orchoracle. I have provided detailed steps how to fix this problem..
I did the search and could find nothing relating specifically to the libcIntsh.so file being empty after installation.

I found the post I think that you're referring to, I believe it starts:
lstsaur wrote:Are you running 7.5x2 EE on the Windows platform?
Answer: No.

However, I am now satisfied that this is not a 'bug', so will contact IBM for follow-up.
lstsaur wrote:Why contact Oracle?
sjordery wrote:The consultant has told us... .... to contact Oracle directly
Not my idea!

Regards,
S