DSJOBS table not being populated when using reorting assista

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

DSJOBS table not being populated when using reorting assista

Post by boris_karloff »

Could some one please help I am trying to export DSJOBS data from the a project to the Oracle schema created from the Reporting directory when DS was installed.

I am able to view table definitions and alike but no Job data from DSJOBS, do I need to turn on an environment variable to enable the information for a job to be captured ?

I think I have bitten of more than I can chew at the moment!

Thanks
B
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Reporting Assistant was deprecated in version 5.2. However, jobs should be able to be moved to the reporting database. Are you certain you had the Jobs check box selected during the Update phase?

Note also that Reporting Assistant does not work reliably with job sequences, shared containers or (in some cases) parallel jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boris_karloff »

Ray,

I have checked and double checked that the jobs box was ticked and all jobs were selected, the update takes seconds, which makes me dubious that there is any data to Update. Is there enything that needs to be turned on inorder for when the jobs run to gather the meta data?

Also you mention that the Reporting Assistant is deprecated and htere are other ways would you be able to point me in the right direction as I am struggling to use the search facility as I don't 100% know what to search for.

Many thanks,
B
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Depends. What do you want to report? The intention (in deprecating the Reporting Assistant) was to force customers to use MetaStage for metadata reporting. With version 8 this has been replaced again, with some of the metadata reporting capabilities embedded in the metadata analysis server and more extensive functionality available through Metadata Workbench.
Then there are the various reports that folks here at DSXchange have developed querying the Repository database directly.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boris_karloff »

What my intentions are are to be able to query the metadata easily with refrence to which jobs use certain tables, variables, column_names, stage variables.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Usage Analysis will do some of those. You might also like to use/adapt the tools downloadable from Chuck Smith's or Kim Duke's websites.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

DwNav uses Reporting Assistant data. I plan on uses the DataStage repository tables directly for version 8. Reporting Assistant does not extract PX job metadata or sequences. I extracted sequences to Reporting Assistant tables for DwNav. It was too much work to extract PX jobs when it may not work for future versions of DataStage. I think going forward browsing metadata repository tables directly makes more sense.

Parameter Navigator does extract and update PX job parameters but it may need to change for version 8. I have not tested it yet. Have not seen a need to convert to version 8 yet.
Mamu Kim
boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boris_karloff »

Kim / Ray,

I have tried to get the usage analysis from Manager however when the jobs are selected the Usage Analysis is greyed out?

Do I need check the to collect metadata check box from withing Administrator?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try selecting a Table Definition and running a Usage Analysis on that.
It will show the jobs that reference any column(s) in that table definition.

You might also try selecting a Job that you know is invoked from a job sequence.