approaches for SCD

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cetzhbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

approaches for SCD

Post by cetzhbo »

Hello Gurus,

I want to summarize the approad to develop SCD .

(1) using transform stage to capture change , to implement change.( including insert/delete/update)

(2) using change capture stage/change apply

(3) using scd stage

is there any other approach to implement SCD ?

thanks very mcu!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes. Change capture can be done externally to DataStage. Read about IBM's acquisition last year of Data Mirror, and search the web for other techniques such as processing transaction logs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think there is two types of change capture. There is the original change capture of changes to the source system that products like InfoSphere Change Data Capture (formerly Data Mirror) is good at, then there is change data determination. Checking to see if the source system change requires a change to the target dimension. This should be handled by the new Slowly Changing Dimension stage - it does the lookup against the target and works out what changes need to be applied to the target dimension.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, two types: CDC and CDD. I've always known the latter as Change Data Dectection but the description still holds. CDC happens at the source while CDD is performed 'outside' the source or at least outside of any official CDC mechanism.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers