what ETL develoer do in a project from scratch

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cetzhbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

what ETL develoer do in a project from scratch

Post by cetzhbo »

Hello Gurus,

will you please tell me what ETL develoer do in a project from scratch ?

thanks very mcuh!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? Sorry, but you are going to have to rephrase that, perhaps narrow it down a bit. I (for one) have no idea what you are asking.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cetzhbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cetzhbo »

sure, I am DW QA right now, but I want to be a ETL developer. so will you please give me a detail description about the whole process for ETL developing using DATASTAGE . or please recomment where can I get that information.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

"will you please give me a detail description about the whole process for ETL developing using DATASTAGE"

That's a pretty tall order and not exactly what we are here for. Seems like your best option would be to get your hands on the "Developer's Guides" pdf manuals that ship with the product. There's one for Server and one for Parallel. All of them can be downloaded from IBM's site, from what I recall, but not all of them are free.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Enrol in a DataStage Essentials training class. DataStage is no longer a tool that can be used "out of the box" by a novice. At least not effectively.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSRajesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSRajesh »

datastage job design,job review,testing etc....
RD
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's the project that's "from scratch" then you have an excellent opportunity to do things right from the beginning - proper metadata management and control, adherence to in-house naming conventions and, above all, documentation. Grasp the opportunity - you won't often get it.

And remember, the statement "we'll do the documentation later" is never true.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Have a look at the new DataStage Redbook as it takes you through a DataStage project scenario: DataStage Documentation and Examples in New 660 Page IBM RedBook. Not big on deployment tasks but covers standards and guidelines.