Executable file of a DS Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Executable file of a DS Job

Post by pravin1581 »

Hi All,

When we run any DS job from the designer, where is the executable file of that job is created and what is the format of that file .

Thanks in advance.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

pravin1581

pravin1581 wrote:When we run any DS job from the designer, where is the executable file of that job is created and what is the format of that file .

We could state this like, The DataStage Executable files are created only when we compile the Job, not run.

Job Executable file, which, the term is highly meant by the DatStage Run Engine and could only be understood by the Run Engine and which is unlike an ordinary executable file filled with more codings. And Job executable file(RT_CONFIGnnn, a runtime file) is created after a successful compilation of the Job no matter what type it is.
pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pravin1581 »

ag_ram wrote:pravin1581

Thanks for the reply, where this file is located and the name of the file should be according to the job.
pravin1581 wrote:When we run any DS job from the designer, where is the executable file of that job is created and what is the format of that file .

We could state this like, The DataStage Executable files are created only when we compile the Job, not run.

Job Executable file, which, the term is highly meant by the DatStage Run Engine and could only be understood by the Run Engine and which is unlike an ordinary executable file filled with more codings. And Job executable file(RT_CONFIGnnn, a runtime file) is created after a successful compilation of the Job no matter what type it is.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

This Job executable file is located at the Project Directory at version DS 7.5

RT_CONFIGnnn - A Run Engine Executable file, nnnn --> Job Number
pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pravin1581 »

ag_ram wrote:This Job executable file is located at the Project Directory at version DS 7.5

Thanks a lot for the reply, how this job number is created, is that file accessible and can we figure out anything from the file.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There are no executables. They are either osh scripts, osh scripts with references to custom operators, or DS BASIC subroutines called by job stub DSD.RUN.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

pravin1581 wrote:
ag_ram wrote:This Job executable file is located at the Project Directory at version DS 7.5

Thanks a lot for the reply, how this job number is created, is that file accessible and can we figure out anything from the file.
The number is serially incremented when each Job is getting run one after another. When we run the Job at first in the Project, the Job Executable file name would be RT_CONFIG1.

RT_CONFIG is a Dynamic(Type 30) hashed file. you can access that file using UniVerse Stage.

Sure. It contains,

Code: Select all

Server Jobs:
    Job Objects Configuration values
    Internal Subroutines calls
    Job Control Subtroutine name(if present)

Parallel Jobs:
   Job Objects Configuration values

Job Sequences: 
   Name of generated Job Control Subroutine    

Refer this post

Do an experiment of Exporting a Job Executable with/without Program Source via DS Manager.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

kcbland wrote:There are no executables. They are either osh scripts, osh scripts with references to custom operators, or DS BASIC subroutines called by job stub DSD.RUN.
ag_ram wrote:Job Executable file, which, the term is highly meant by the DatStage Run Engine and could only be understood by the Run Engine and which is unlike an ordinary executable file filled with more codings.
For paralell Jobs, RT_CONFIGnnn does not mean to say a lot So the executables are being as OSH code as such. But instead when it comes Server Job, it is to be what an executable file to the DataStage Run Engine.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I'm absolutely correct in my original statement. There are NO executables generated by Server or PX. The RT_CONFIG has no executable or near-executable stored in it. Jobs are generated subroutines or linked objects called by a third party - either DSD.RUN or the osh interpreter.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Executable file of a DS Job

Post by chulett »

pravin1581 wrote:When we run any DS job from the designer, where is the executable file of that job is created and what is the format of that file.
Ok, I'll bite... why seek this knowledge, Grasshopper?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

kcbland wrote:I'm absolutely correct in my original statement. There are NO executables generated by Server or PX. The RT_CONFIG has no executable or near-executable stored in it. Jobs are generated subroutines or linked objects called by a third party - either DSD.RUN or the osh interpreter.
kenneth,
I have never said you are wrong. You are where you were.
I too strongly agree that it is not an ordinary executable file we consider but should be treated as an executable file to the Run Engine.

kcbland wrote:There are NO executables generated by Server or PX.
I suppose that OSH code can be an executable file and we can simply execute the generated OSH code in the OSH shell.

Please clarify this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you regard a Bourne shell script as an executable file? The analogy is exact.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pravin1581 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Do you regard a Bourne shell script as an executable file? The analogy is exact.
Thanks for the reply, is it a OSH script. Can you please elaborate.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage does NOT generate an executable file.

DataStage parallel jobs generate an osh script. When the job is run, a new osh script (called the "score") is written, taking into account the currently selected configuration. The score is executed within an Orchestrate shell - not by the operating system.

The score never gets created as a file, unless you direct DataStage to save it to disk. This is the basis of my contention that there is no executable file. The score is distributed to section leader processes by the conductor process, as a bytestream, not as a file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ag_ram wrote:I suppose that OSH code can be an executable file and we can simply execute the generated OSH code in the OSH shell.
ray.wurlod wrote:Do you regard a Bourne shell script as an executable file? The analogy is exact.
Thanks in another way.