warnings --- floating point

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastagedw
Participant

warnings --- floating point

Post by datastagedw »

hello,

I have an issue here. I am doing a sql query from oracle enterprise stage.Here i am using some aggregate functions like count(*),sum(colmn1). Its meta data is defined as integer in the job. its throwing errors like floating point error. i dont hv the exact error message with me right now i wanted to know what data type does data stge understand when we take such functions, i tried with integer,decimal(38,10) and also double(as we use that in aggregator stage).sum function should by default have the data type of the column on which the sum function is working right??

Please advice me regd this.This is the issue with a lot of jobs with all of us dealing in this project.

Thanks
ETL DEVELOPER
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: warnings --- floating point

Post by priyadarshikunal »

datastagedw wrote:hello,

I have an issue here. I am doing a sql query from oracle enterprise stage.Here i am using some aggregate functions like count(*),sum(colmn1). Its meta data is defined as integer in the job. its throwing errors like floating point error. i dont hv the exact error message with me right now i wanted to know what data type does data stge understand when we take such functions, i tried with integer,decimal(38,10) and also double(as we use that in aggregator stage).sum function should by default have the data type of the column on which the sum function is working right??

Please advice me regd this.This is the issue with a lot of jobs with all of us dealing in this project.

Thanks

It simply returns double and if problem persists use any function to change the datatype to varchar or decimal. like to_char() or cast() after performing the operation

Code: Select all

select cast(sum(a) as decimal) as Column from XYZ
Regards,
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Aggregator stage has a Decimal Output property both for the stage (as a default) and for each output field. From memory, I think its default value is "8,2". These numbers are precision and scale respectively.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.