Happening Cardinality in join stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ysrini9
Participant

Happening Cardinality in join stage

Post by ysrini9 »

Hi All,

here i am joining two tables using(left-outer) Join stage, in which left table contians 4000000 records and right table 2500 records joining with Join stage .when I am loadind data into next stage(join) records are multiplied(Cardinality) and I am getting error message which says "APT_CombinedOperatorController(0),0: Operator terminated abnormally: Terminating with exception:APT_BadAlloc: Heap allocation failed"..kindly give me the solutions.

Note:no need to use merge stage and lookup stage

Thanks
Srini
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Run the job with $APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION set to true in order to localize which stage is causing the error. It is most likely the JOIN but you cannot be sure.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you have duplicate join keys then you expect "cardinality". This is not a quirk of DataStage, it will happen in any SQL environment.

Exhausing heap space usually suggests that one or more operators (and these may be the tsort or buffer operators inserted by the framework) has run out of scratch space. Configure more scratch space.

You MUST disable operator combination for effective diagnosis. This may, of itself, cure the problem, as you won't be trying to do everything in a single operator.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.