LOG file & datastage job viewing in aix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chvenkat.v
Participant

LOG file & datastage job viewing in aix

Post by chvenkat.v »

hi

any one pls help...

how to view the log file data like warning and fatal informaton in aix box. pls tell me which location log file and datastage job are stored in aix or unix env.

thnks

venkat
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Log files are stored as hashed files and cannot be directly viewed. You can use the "dsjob -logsum" or "dsjob -logdetail" to output a job's log to stdoutput, which you can redirect to a file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage jobs are not stored in any readily retrievable form either. They are stored as object and configuration records in a database. At runtime these data are read and used to execute your ETL process.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
datastagedw
Participant

Re: LOG file & datastage job viewing in aix

Post by datastagedw »

hi there,

even i had a similar dobt regd this.so ultimately where do we have to run this command. is it the path where the project is installed or where the DSEngine is there.

thanks
ETL DEVELOPER
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"this command"? What command?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
krisna
Participant

Post by krisna »

from unix command prompt u can try like this.

/opt/dsSoftware/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin/dsjob -logsum "project" "job|jobid"

or

from unix command prompt u try like this.

change the directory as( /opt/dsSoftware/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin )

then use dsjob -logsum "project" "job|jobid"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

U (one of DSXchange's members) has not participated in this thread. Why are you giving advice to U?

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you". We prefer a professional standard of written English at DSXchange.
OddJob
Participant

Post by OddJob »

I think you're on a hiding to nothing with your good English crusade. If you want to be consistent have a look at the original post by 'chvenkat.v' - he uses terms like 'pls' and 'thnks'!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Senator Clinton isn't giving up - why should I?

I happen to believe it's important.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

OddJob - I am in the same camp as Ray and I'm not a native English speaker. I believe using SMS-like English is an abuse of the English language that doesn't belong in a professional forum such as this one.

I've stopped being as active as Ray in mentioning abuses of the written language. What I have started doing is to tend to ignore and not respond to posts written in shorthand.
OddJob
Participant

Post by OddJob »

I agree entirely with your sentiment - my point was that Ray tackled krisna for the use of 'u', when the original poster was as guilty (if not more so) of use slang abbreviations.

Is there no way of reporting to a moderator for personal attention rather than going off topic to make this point?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, moderators really aren't "grammar police" and shouldn't be. PM's to the really bad offenders haven't worked in the past, so all that is left is posting recommendations. It is the poster's right to ignore any such suggestions just as it is any reponder's right to ignore such posts.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm not a moderator in these forums, so I go "off color" (to Dark Red) when making these points.

I must have been tired to miss the delinquencies in the initial post.