Active and Passive stages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ankitaporwal
Participant

Active and Passive stages

Post by ankitaporwal »

Hi Everyone ,

Whats the difference between the Active and passive stage?
I would like to know the differentiating criteria between the two.
Is it like in Informatica, if a stages changes the number of row in its output then its an active stage eg filter, agg and if it doesnt change the o/p rows then its passive, eg sort .
how is this decided in Datastage?
Your replies are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankita Porwal
IBM India Pvt Ltd.
Gurgaon
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I like thinking of passive stages as inputs and outputs (sources & targets of data); but the definitive list can be seen when browsing the stages as they are shown are "active", "passive" or "external"
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Actives stages, such as the Transformer and Aggregator, perform processing tasks, while passive stages,
such as the Sequential File stage and Hashed File stage, are reading or writing data sources and provide services to the active stages.

Above is extracted from DataStageServer Job Developer Guide.

If you are looking more on this, I would sujjest read the DataStageServer Job Developer Guide.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.
By William A.Foster