DataStage PX and MQ Client

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage PX and MQ Client

Post by bcarlson »

We are just starting to experiment with using DataStage and MQ and ran across this in the documentation:
For instructions and information supporting the installation, see
WebSphere DataStage Plug-In Installation and Configuration Guide.
Note The MQ Series Client-only option is unsupported.
Does this mean we can only use DataStage with MQ if the DataStage server is on the same platform as the MQ server?

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Yes. For version 7.x, MQ client, MQ server, and DS server all reside on the same box.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Is this unique to 7.x and is resolved in v8 or does v8 have the same issue?

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is resolved in version 8. You must have MQ client (obviously), but the MQ server no longer needs to be co-located with the DataStage server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devnull
Premium Member
Premium Member

Websphere MQ Plug-in and remote queues - DataStage 7.x

Post by devnull »

So if DataStage is installed on the same server as MQ server, can it connect to queues on another server? Or can DataStage only connect to local queues?
Michael Mabin
Minneapolis, MN USA
d3vvnull@com.gmail
(Reverse com and gmail to send email)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It can connect to queues on other servers. The local queue manager uses MQ intercommunication to communicate with the remote queue manager(s).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devnull
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devnull »

ray.wurlod wrote:It can connect to queues on other servers. The local queue manager uses MQ intercommunication to communicate with the remote queue manager(s).
And is this intercommunication something that must be configured in DataStage, MQ or both? What exactly is the nature of this MQ intercommunication? Does it involve server to server message passing? (remote server passes messages to queue on local queue manager).
Michael Mabin
Minneapolis, MN USA
d3vvnull@com.gmail
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

All DataStage wants to know about are the MQ queue manager and teh MQ queue name. If those can be accessed from the DataStage server command line using the mq commands (i.e. "dspmqaut") then you are good to go from DataStage.
devnull
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devnull »

ArndW wrote:All DataStage wants to know about are the MQ queue manager and teh MQ queue name. If those can be accessed from the DataStage server command line using the mq commands (i.e. "dspmqaut") then you are good to go from DataStage.
Is anyone here currently using Hawk with MQ Series? If so, how do you access a queue using only the MQ Client, (with no server installed.) Is this even possible?
Michael Mabin
Minneapolis, MN USA
d3vvnull@com.gmail
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The version 8 MQ stages allow you to specify a local or remote queue manager.

MQ Intercommunication is configured within MQ Series, from one queue manager to another.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

devnull wrote:Is anyone here currently using Hawk with MQ Series? If so, how do you access a queue using only the MQ Client, (with no server installed.) Is this even possible?
We are using MQ with HAWK both with real-time components, the Oracle UOW operator and a customer MQ UOW operator at this installation. Although we do have local queues, the work is done on queues local to the mainframe.
To repeat a question from earlier - can you execute the command "dspmq" to display known queues from your DataStage server?
Last edited by ArndW on Tue May 13, 2008 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
devnull
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devnull »

ArndW wrote:We are using MQ with HAWK both with real-time components, the Oracle UOW operator and a customer MQ UOW operator at this installation. Although we do have local queues, the work is done on queues local to the mainframe.
To repeat a question from earlier - can you execute the command "dspmq" to display known queues from your DataStage server?
Hey cool! Yeah I can see this! Thanks!
Michael Mabin
Minneapolis, MN USA
d3vvnull@com.gmail