Factless fact table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

niharranjan
Participant

Factless fact table

Post by niharranjan »

Hi,

I am new to this tool. So Could you please tell me why we r using factless fact table? For my understanding its a table which contains no facts.

So why we use this table? Any advantages?

Many thanx in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the tool, and everything to do with data warehouse/data mart design. A factless fact table records that something has occurred, but about which there is nothing to measure.

If you search DSXchange for your term you will find some examples. You can also search on the website of The Data Warehousing Institute and of Ralph Kimball or Bill Inmon for more detailed descriptions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Interesting 2 see Ray maintaining patience 4 those SMS styles. May b because of reduced Sleeping time!! :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'